12. Skip

"Keep the fire lit in your marriage and your life will be filled with warmth."—Fawn Weaver

Todd comes and sits beside me as I play the Therapy for Couples CD on my laptop.

Steam rises from his cup as he takes a sip. "What are you doing?"

"I'm bored so I am just watching these CDs."

He leans against the couch, shifting closer to me and his musky smell fills my nostrils almost instantly.

"Let's see why Caroline was pressing us to watch these CDs," he says, shrugging.

I cock an eye at him. "You want to watch these CDs with me?"

"I'm bored too. It's past my bed time and I can't sleep, so why not?" 

"It's only half past ten," I scoff.

"Exactly."

Earlier, when we came back home, Todd still looked a bit down. I've known him for more than seven years and I know he doesn't talk when he's sad, so I gave him his time and space to clear his mind. I guess he's feeling okay now.

I can't believe we're actually doing this. I play the video and the screen flashes some important information:

Following is a list of questions that you and your partner have to answer. Ask each other these questions and try to be as honest as possible. These questions will help you communicate better with each other.

Here we go!

I can't sleep and I don't have any more articles to write, so I have to resort to watching these therapy videos. I just want to pass my time until I drift off to sleep, not that I'm actually interested.

I take in a deep breath and read out the first question, "What food reminds you of me?"

"You answer first," Todd says, bringing the cup to his lips.

Let me think.

"Pretzel...and don't ask me why. Now, it's your turn."

"Um, jalapenos," he says, lifting one shoulder.

 Jalapenos?

"Okay, next question—when did you have your first kiss?"

The corners of his lips tug upwards. "In ninth grade."

"Who was that?"

"That isn't the question, Stella...come on, now it's your turn."

"I don't remember clearly, but I guess I was eleven when I had my first kiss."

His eyes widen slightly. "Wow."

"Don't judge," I say, slightly shaking my head.

"Read out the next one."

"What was the first thing that attracted you about me?"

"Your eyes."

Suddenly, I feel a little giddy. "Thanks, Todd."

"What's your answer?" he smiles.

"Your dimples."

I look back at the screen to see the next question.

"What about me would you change?" I say, looking at him.

He puts his coffee mug down on the table and rubs his hands together. "Well, there are a lot of things—"

"Get to the point." I roll my eyes.

"Okay, I would like you to be a little less sniffy."

I cross my arms over my chest. "And I would like you to be a little less people pleaser."