15. Mixed Emotions

"A dress that zips up the back will bring a husband and wife together."—James H. Boren

I sigh, "Do you ever think about our future?"

He raises his eyebrows. "Future?"

I shake my head. "Um, nothing. I-I guess I just need some sleep."

"Are you sure?"

I smile, my lips pressed together. "Yes, I'm sure."

 My stomach churns as I keep looking at him,and finally I've to look away. What was I even thinking when I asked him about our future? What answer was I expecting from him? I don't know what's wrong with me and why I'm over-thinking about our marriage lately.

"Stella?"

"Sorry, uh, what were you saying?"

His lips curl upwards in a smile. "Do you want me to order pizza?"

Unexpectedly, my stomach churns again. Something's definitely wrong with me tonight.

"No, I'm not really hungry." I shrug.

I stretch my arms and back in an attempt to alleviate some pain.

"I think I need a hot shower," I murmur.

Todd nods.

A strange thought occurs in some remote corner of my mind. Is there a chance that Caroline's counseling is having this effect on me? No, I highly doubt that. 

The thing is that Todd and I have never bothered to smooth over the problems between us. It's not easy to talk it out because things always get heated and that's why we both just find it better to ignore each other.

I don't know why I'm letting these insignificant thoughts clog up my mind. What the hell is wrong with me?

*****

When I come out of the shower, I know exactly what's wrong with me.

As I step out of the bathroom, I notice Todd standing near our bed with his back to me. In one swift motion, he takes his shirt off with his left hand and dumps it on the bed. His back muscles flex when he picks up a fresh T-shirt from the bed and my eyes slightly widen when he turns around.

I think I catch him by surprise because he staggers back a step, his hand pressed against his chest.

"Stella, I didn't know you were there," he sighs.

I find it hard to reply because something else is distracting me. It's somewhat difficult to stop myself from looking at his leans abs and chiseled chest, but after taking a quick peek, I look up to meet his eyes. My throat feels as dry as sandpaper.

I scratch the nape of my neck. "I'm sorry if I startled you."

He chuckles, throwing his T-shirt over his head. "Nah, it's fine."

A sudden discomfort in my lower abdomen makes me clutch my stomach and shut my eyes tight. 

"Is everything all right?" Todd asks, narrowing his eyes.

I swallow hard, the pain increasing in my body due to stomach cramps.

"It's a girl thing, you know."

He cocks an eye at me. "What?"

I lick my lips. "Um, the monthly gift?"

He slightly shakes his head. "Stop talking in riddles and tell me what's going on."

I roll my eyes at him. 

"I'm on my period, you idiot!"

"Oh."