Understanding

Dib sat, knees huddled close to his chest, on the floor next to the bed. His knees were wet, as he's buried his face in them and sobbed tears of fear. He was shaking. He heard a rustling behind him, causing him to jump up in hope and surprise. "Zim?" Zim slowly opened his beautiful ruby eyes. "You're okay!" Dib half yelled and half sobbed. "What...?" "You ran into the road and a car hit you. I thought you were dead but I took you to your base and the computer helped you down here while you were unconscious." Dib explained. Zim scanned the room. "Oh. The infirmary." He said, lying back down. Dib bent down to plant a kiss on Zim's chapped lips. Zim kissed back quickly and without surprise. They parted and Dib sobbed a bit before moving away. "I really thought I'd lost you there." "Don't be silly. That puny earth vehicle could never kill the mighty Zim." Said Zim. "Well I'm glad it didn't." Zim nodded. They sat in silence for a while, Zim staring at the ceiling as Dib drummed his finger on the floor. Without looking away, Zim suddenly spoke. "You know, this planet isn't so bad." Dib's jaw practically clattered to the floor. "What?" "Back there, when I was hit, I saw something I'd never seen on this planet before. Beauty." Dib didn't know what to say. Apparently neither did Zim, and they say in more silence before Dib found his words. "Well... I suppose that makes sense... I guess you're just looking at the world through different eyes now." "Nonsense. I'm using the same eyes as before." "No Zim, it's a metaphor. You're just seeing the world in a new way. My way." Zim looked at Dib, confused. "You see why I wanted to save it now, huh?" Zim nodded and looked away. "I do." The silence carried on for a minute more before Dib spoke. "Like a song who's lyrics made no sense until you felt it yourself." Zim said nothing, but turned his head to look Dib is his honey colored eyes. Dib slowly looked up into Zim's ruby red ones. "Like how you made me understand all those stupid love songs." He whispered. Zim said nothing for a minute more. Then, to Dib's surprise, he said "I think I understand. I think I understand why love was banned in Irk. It makes your brain go to mush and drives you insane. But I still don't understand why it was banned. It's such an amazing thing." Dib smiled a weak smile. "Thank you." He whispered. "Thank you for coming to this planet."