The Start

Danielle Brooks as Alexander Rose

I really want to leave "I think to myself as the crowd goes crazy.

What did I miss? 

I look over at my brother whose booing the opposing team. I look around and I just realized, I don't know who we're playing against, or who we are cheering for.

Sean asks "Hey!  You good?" I nod and just let him enjoy the rest of yet another football game he dragged me too. Luckily some of the players are cute, or this would have been a complete bust. The quarterback runs left and "whoa" is he fast! He keeps going and going... and going...

Touchdown! I stand and cheer with the rest of the crowd, I have no idea why I'm excited about that. Sean's jumping up and down on this flimsy crowd stand.

"Hey! This thing is not durable enough for you to be doing all that!" I scream

"Sorry, I'm just really excited! I can't believe he did it..." he really thinks I understand anything he's talking about, well I won't tell him any differently. Just nod Xan he'll stop talking eventually. Hopefully.

"... Damn! He's so Great!" He finishes. Thank god, he's done fanboying about the quarterback. He makes me think he plays for the other team the way he talks about football players.

"Xander!"  Sean yells

"Huh, what did you say?"

"Are you even listening to me?"

No. "Of course, you ready to go? If we don't leave now we'll be stuck in traffic."

He finally gets done staring at the cheerleaders and we get to the car.

"You think mom and dad are home?" I ask

"Why, you want to bring some guy over?"

Now he knows damn well I don't have anyone to bring over.

"Yeah Sean I want to have an orgy in the living room"

"That's nasty Xan, lord kill the visual!" He says with disgust written all over his face. The car fell silent for a while

"How come you don't play football, Sean?"

"I'm not that good at it Xan, just because I love it doesn't mean I'm meant to play it." He says playfully. I nod at him, it's understandable. I like watching soccer, doesn't mean you'll be seeing me on the field.

"Alright then," I say and turn the radio up louder

"Oh this my sh*t!" Black Beatles start to play

That girl is a real crowd pleaser

Small world, all her friends know me

Frat girls still tryna get even

Haters mad for whatever reason

Smoke in the air, binge drinking

"That girl is a real crowd pleaser... Smoke in the air, binge drinking." I laugh at how offbeat he is "This your favorite song Sean?"

"I could bang this all night!" The rest of the ride home was comfortable, to say the least.  

I have neglected to introduce myself, My name is Alexander Rose, but everyone just calls me Xander, Xan for short.  I am 20 years old, I attend College of nursing, I am black and I have natural hair that I am very proud of. I am a big girl size 18, I have size 44DD breasts and a BIG BUTT my tummies not small but it doesn't bother me any, don't get it twisted I love myself, nothing is gonna change that.

My brother Sean is 19, he goes to Nostrum High school. He's tall 6'3 chocolate toned skin and really smart. I wondered why he didn't have a girlfriend but what can a sister do? You could say we're privileged. I think we're just lucky to have parents who did something with their lives. Our mother is a lawyer for a very prestigious law firm and our father is a doctor at our local hospital.

We live in a predominantly white neighborhood, which can be a struggle because me being...me, a lot of the guys I want to pursue don't particularly want to pursue me.  Nothing that truly bothers me because I know I'm beautiful, I'm just waiting for someone else to see it too.

But anyway, parking in our driveway after the long and unnecessary quiet I endured the rest of the ride there was finally over.

"What are you up to tomorrow?" I ask

"Sleep," Sean replies simply

I just nod and continue to get out of my car. Thank God! I don't have class tomorrow, I look at the clock that reads 11:45 pm. I just stare at the ceiling for a while until I drift off the sleep.