Chapter 3

"Well, see." Jordye stated before pausing to look at her mother. She was just standing there with her hands on her hips waiting for her to continue so she did.

"This girl had just came from Cookout, you know? That place has the best milkshakes. Well, I had headphones on and I wasn't paying attention and I just bumped right into her." Jordye finished with a hopeful smile.

"Well, alright baby. Just go upstairs and clean yourself up. Dinner will be ready soon."

Without any questions, Jordye ran upstairs to wash away all the terrible comments, shame, and lies with hot water. Around an hour later, she could smell her favorite meal lingering in the atmosphere; spaghetti. After smelling the food, she ended up hopping off her bed and bolting down the stairs.

Jordye was digging into her food, while her mother just picked over hers. There was obviously something on her mind. Ten minutes into their somewhat lovely dinner, she finally decided to confront the issue at hand and break the silence.

"Jordye, I know you're lying to me about the milkshake thing" she said softly. Her words made Jordye stop her steady pace and just gaze at her mother. She felt ashamed as she now hung her head low.

"Jordye, I know you're being bullied at that school. I just want to let you know that it's okay."

"...it's okay." Jordye thought to herself before abruptly standing from the table in rage to continue.

"It's okay? It's okay?! What do you mean? None of this is 'okay,' I get treated like crap out there and for what? Something that just so happened when I was a little girl and it just so happened that I had nothing do with it!" Jordye then closed out her argument and by that time her mother had came from around the table to comfort her in a warm hug.

"Listen, honey. I was bullied too while I was your age."

"Wait, you were?"

"Child, people hated me. I was the top of my class just like you and all my peers dreaded the fact that a poor girl could be so successful."

The tears that stained Jordye's cheeks slowly began to disappear. Someone has been in the same predicament as her.

"Jordye, I know it's hard. Trust me I know. People are always going to beat you down, but only thing there is for you to do is to keep your head up, baby. If you don't remember anything else I say, please remember that people will always want to be in your place, so pray for them and shine on."

As Jordye listened to her mothers advice, she thought to herself, "maybe everything just might be okay."