Chapter 17

"Somebody please call an ambulance! Don't you see my mom on the floor!"

Hospital

"Here are your ice chips, auntie."

"Thanks Hakeem, I really appreciate it baby." Jordye's mother stated through a groggy voice as she shifted in her hospital bed.

All Hakeem could do was give off a faint smile and leave the mother and daughter to have some alone time.

"Mom.. Wh-why didn't you tell me you w-were sick." Jordye barely could get out her words as she sat bedside of her mother.

"Oh honey, you just had so much on your plate already. With school and all. I didn't want you worrying about little ole me."

"Mom, you're the most important person in the world to me. I know we have had our ups and downs, but I love you mama. I don't know what I would do without you!"

"Baby just calm down."

"No! We can still help you right? You're gonna be fine. Right, mama?" Jordye was know pacing the room as she tried to think of strategies to get her mother out of this predicament.

"Jordye, sit back down."

Jordye soon calmed down and did as she was told. She sat down into the seat that was scooted very close to her ill mother.

"Ma, please don't tell me something I don't want to hear. You're going to get out of this place, alright?"

"No, baby. I won't. My time has com-."

"Ma! Stop talking like that!" Jordye cried out as tears were staining her cheeks.

Jordye's mother hated seeing her in pain, but she had to tell her daughter the truth this time. It was now or never. Jordye's mother gently lifted her hand that was connected to the I.V. machine to grasp Jordye's hand.

"Honey, I have leukemia and it ain't no cure for that." She exclaimed with a slight chuckle since she knew this day would come.

"Jordye, I just have to let The Lord do his work."

"What kinda work is this?! He's slowly taking you away from me!"

"I know, baby. I know. Come here." Jordye's mother was know consoling her daughter as she laid on her chest. They stayed in that position for a few minutes before she gripped Jordye's cheeks and wiped her tears with her thumbs.

"Now you listen, ya hear?"

Jordye shook her head in comprehension.

"What did I always tell you to remember from the time you were little 'til a few weeks ago?"

"People will always want to be in my place, but I can only pray for them and shine on." Jordye exclaimed through sniffles. By repeating this back to her mother, it really hurt her. Hurt her bad.

"I love you, Jor. You are my only baby and I will love you until the end of time. Okay?"

"I know, I love you too, mama."

Almost instaneously, Jordye heard her mother exhale deeply. Soon after that, her heart monitor created a flatline where her regular heartbeat would've been.

"Ma? MA? MAMA?!"

Jordye's mind went blank as she ran out of the room and screamed for help. As multiple officials rushed into the room, they were pushing Jordye in the opposite direction.

"I'm really sorry ma'am, but you can't be in the room at this time."

"But that's my mom in there!"

"I understand, but ma'am you have to calm down as I redirect you into the lobby area."

As the strong man guided Jordye to the lobby with Hakeem and her aunt, she could still look back into the room through the glass window. All she could make out was her mother's body abruptly jumping from receiving electrical shock.

45 mins later

The lobby was completely quiet as they all waited for an update.

"...Wilson family?" A doctor dressed in all white questioned.

Jordye's head popped up and her eyes longed for an answer while her aunt approached the man. The doctor spoke just above a whisper. Yet, Jordye made sure she heard.

" I'm sorry, but we couldn't revive Mrs. Wilson."