Chapter 19

Saturday

"Yeah, we just got out..." Jordye spoke into the phone as she walked out of the church that held her mother's funeral. Yes, tears still stained her face, but the home going was a peaceful ceremony and within those few hours Jordye got the closure she needed and longed for.

Of course, she was on the phone with Quinn who was there for her through thick and thin. He was the first one to called her after the service to ensure that she was holding up. He knew what it felt like to loose a parent and he definitely didn't want Jordye to go through this tough time all on her on.

"Good Jor. Are you sure you're going to be alright? You know I would stay on the phone with you all day, but Coack K got us moving in a whole week early so we can start training. Like what kinda stuff is th-..." Quinn trailed off obviously frustrated with having to leave Jordye.

However, Jordye thought his attitude and feelings towards her were funny and quite adorable as she giggled through the line.

"Yes, Quinn I'll be fine over here. Do what you gotta do boo." Jordye smiled as she knew how determined and passionate Quinn was about the game. She knew Quinn was going to make it big someday; whether it was in college or even in the NBA.

"Okay, Jor. Ima call you when I get some free time. I swear if I be running suicides all damn day Ima be hella mad." Quinn continued to complain which kept Jordye laughing.

"Quinn you'll be fine. You gotta put in the work to get the better outcome."

"You right, you right. Don't be tryna get all inspirational on me, that's my job" he stated with a chuckle.

"Aye, I learn from the best" Jordye smiled while brushing off her shoulder as if he could see her.

"Big facts, baby!" Quinn shouted making them both laugh then continued.

"But look, my mom's bugging me to get off the phone and finish packing. Call you when I can?"

"That'll be perfect. You're so lucky that you get to move in early! When you get there, you better tell me how wonder campus life is!"

"Alright, you know I gotchu boo. Bye, beautiful " Quinn exclaimed as he added emphasis on that last word.

"Bye Quinn" Jordye blushed before hanging up.

While calming down from her well-needed compliment, from the what seemed like the guy of her dreams, she cited a quick prayer within herself.

Lord,
My mother is gone, but I now understand that you do everything for a reason and it was just her time to go home. She's in a better place now. Please just give me the strength to strive and prosper in her name and in your name. Jesus, I pray. Amen

What could make this day any worst?

With a tap on the shoulder, she got the answer she necessarily wasn't looking for.

"Chancellor..?" Jordye asked in disbelief.

"Remember me?"