Fire (Thorin)

July 16, 2015: This imagine is for JaylaFireGal. Thanks for the request! I will be updating both a Bard and Éomer imagine later. Happy reading!

 After the Battle of the Five Armies, you are suffering from arsonphobia (the fear of fire).

"I am fire. I am death," the treacherous creature's voice echoed throughout the land.

Smaug seemed to stop flying in mid-air and looked straight into your eyes. "You can't escape the flames. You will burn."

While you were turning to run, you tripped over a pothole and the flames engulfed you.

Then you woke up, drenched in cold sweat.

It was a dream. You're fine. Smaug's dead. Those were the words you thought to yourself over and over again, trying to get it through to your thick, dwarven mind. How long would fire haunt you? After all it had been a couple of days since the battle had ended, and all were safe.

What really is wrong with you? Had it been the fear in the eyes of the people who knew they were going to burn that frightened you?

Luckily, your own pessimistic thoughts were interrupted by Thorin (you could tell it was him by the shuffle of his feet on the floor) knocking softly on the door to your bedroom.

"Y/N?" he called out. "Is everything alright?"

You gathered the silky material of the cover in your hand and started awkwardly fiddling with it. "Yes, I'm fine," you replied through the thick door.

Thorin just stood there, in silence, for a moment before talking. "What did you say? I can't hear you through this blasted door."

You got up from the bed and made your way to the door. Opening it, you saw Thorin's face illuminated from a candle he had lit. Just seeing him made you smile, since you knew that you both survived many near-death situations. Even though you probably were grinning like an idiot at Thorin, he returned the smile, his teeth showing and crinkles forming underneath his nice, bright eyes.

But his beautiful smile faded into a look of concern. "You were screaming, and I'd thought I would come check on you."

"Oh, I just... I just had a bad dream." you say quickly. You didn't want Thorin to know that you were afraid of anything, let alone fire. He would think you to be weak, and weakness was one quality that you didn't want to have. "I'm fine now."

Thorin nodded and said, "If you ever need anything, you know where to find me." he motioned down the hall, to where his room was located, while he was talking.

You can't go. I don't want to be afraid again.

"Wait!" you yelled, and Thorin started walking back to where you were standing. "I, uh, was wondering if you'd, well, you'd like t-to sleep with me tonight." you were able to get out through the stumbling and stuttering.

Thinking that he would reject your offer, you wore a look of embarrassment on your face. But, to your pleasant surprise, he accepted. "That sounds lovely." he responded in a calm voice, unlike your own. "Also," Thorin said as he was going through the entrance to your bedroom. "You don't have to be embarrassed, Y/N. It's not like we're trying to start a family." he laughed his usual hearty laugh.

You laughed along too, glad that it was too dark for Thorin to see the blush upon your face with the candle put out.

Crawling into bed, you readjusted your covers and was dosing off to sleep when you felt Thorin's arms snake around your waist. He pulled you into his warm embrace, and you fell asleep, content that you were with someone you loved and knowing that you wouldn't have another nightmare with Thorin by your side.

***

"A bonfire?" you swallowed a lump in your throat as you tried to remain relaxed.

Kili shook his head. "No, we're going on another adventure. Of course we're having a bonfire!"

It was halfway through the day and the dwarves had already decided that they wanted to have a party outdoors by the fire.

You breathed in and out, slowing your breaths. It was a method that helped greatly to help with your nervousness. "Sounds, uh, great." you smiled, as you were hoping that Kili would think that you really meant it.

"Oh, it will be!" Kili shouted excitedly. "There will be music and dancing and drinks and-"

"Food." Bombur cut Kili off.

You chuckled at the dwarf's love of food, while Kili just sighed. "Yes, there will be food."

***

You thought that maybe, just maybe you could get through with the bonfire. At the very least, you could at least feign that you were having a great time. But you couldn't. The death you had seen from fire was too much to handle; you couldn't ignore the pain that was caused by the flames alone.

You started to panic. Your whole body was trembling with fear as the dwarves brought out torches to light the pile of wood that was set up for a bonfire.

Glóin looked at you and held a torch out. "Do you want to light the bonfire?" he had asked, but you were already fleeing inside of the mountain.

You ran to get away from all of the fire. You also ran away from all the horrible memories that were caused by fire - the memory of the screaming of the victims, the smell of burning flesh, was all too much to dwell on.

While you were running, you heard Thorin yell, presumably at Glóin for saying something "offensive".

Once you were inside, you sat down against the wall and started to cry.

You can't live your life like this... no one can.

You wept and wept until Thorin was by your side and placed his strong hand on your back. "Whatever it is," he whispered into your ear, "you'll get through it. You have a fire inside of you that no one else I know has."

While his words were sweet, the thought of fire did not help.

As the hot tears were streaming down your face, you started to tell him what was going on. "Thorin, I don't like fire. In fact, I hate it. It's killed so many people, and I'm worried it's going to kill you or me."

Thorin stared at you for a moment, trying to comprehend your fear. Then he pulled you into a hug and stroked your hair. "We'll get through this together. I'm not wild about fire either. I know what you're saying, Y/N." He took your shoulders in his hands and looked into your eyes. "If it means anything, I love you and our love will get us through anything."

You smiled and pulled him in for a kiss. You knew that as your lips connected, you might be afraid now, but you'd eventually be okay with Thorin by your side.