New Adventure, New Kin (Thorin)

July 12, 2016: This was requested by ImryllC. Thank you!

You, Elizabeth, are expecting Thorin's child.

At this moment in time, Elizabeth had two things motivating her: Thorin Oakenshield and the unquenchable desire to deliver him some very important news.

***

6 weeks ago

"I'll miss you," Thorin told Elizabeth while burying his head in the crook of her neck.

Elizabeth sighed. "I'll miss you too."

Thorin lifted his head and looked her in the eyes. "Be careful, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth smiled, a tear streaming down her cheek. "No, you be careful...on this quest."

He nodded, and mounted his pony. Elizabeth waved him off as his horse trotted away.

Later that afternoon, Elizabeth headed to the healer's tent to receive the results of her last checkup.

As she sat down at the healer's table, Elizabeth noticed a smile etched across the healer's face.

"Were my results good?" Elizabeth asked, curious why the healer wore such a bright smile on her face.

"Everything's fine, but," she leaned forward to take Elizabeth's hand in hers. "You're pregnant."

"I'm pregnant?"

"Yes, congratulations, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth smiled. Even though Thorin was gone, she would still have a part of him with her.

***

That night, Elizabeth dreamed of something horrifying.

The dream itself was foggy; its hazy nature not allowing her to see anything. But, while Elizabeth couldn't see, she still possessed her hearing.

All around, she heard fierce battle cries. Even though Elizabeth was accustomed to war, what terrified her was the recognizable screams of Thorin and Company. It sounded as if they were losing the battle for Erebor, and they were losing the battle for their lives as well.

"Thorin!" Elizabeth tried to call out, but her vocal chords wouldn't allow her to do so.

She attempted to scream for him several more times, until the fog dispersed, leaving bodies scattered on the ground.

Flies hovered over every corpse, swarming the open, grotesque wounds of the fallen soldiers.

Elizabeth tried to cry out for Thorin one more time, but she didn't need to, as he appeared in front of her in the form of a lifeless body. His corpse's eyes were wide open, starring into her own.

She woke up immediately from the dream, not only with cold sweat running down her back, but with a haunting realization.

My husband could die.

Before the rooster could crow, Elizabeth packed her bags and was set on seeing her husband again.

The thought of losing Thorin and having to raise her child alone was enough to make Elizabeth believe she needed to follow the band of dwarves on their journey to reclaim Erebor.

Knowing the dangers of traveling with child, Elizabeth sought out the healer for advice. The healer gave Elizabeth herbal medicines that were intended to keep you and the child safe.

Hours upon hours, days upon days, and weeks upon weeks were spent tracking the group.

Elizabeth didn't want to over do it and had spent an extra amount of time covering her own trail to make sure no one was following her.

After spending nearly three weeks of cautiously pursuing their tracks, Elizabeth saw Erebor up ahead.

She breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that the company had reached their destination safely.

I'll be there soon.

***
Thorin's Point of View

"Thorin, you should take the night watch," Kili suggested, leaning back in his chair. "I'm too tired." 

I opened the side door that led to the top of the iron wall that was cast over Erebor for its protection. "It was my turn to take guard anyway," I replied. 

Once I reached the watch post, I took a seat on a wooden chair. 

The night had passed, being fairly uneventful. The sun had just started to peak over the horizon; its rays illuminating the watch post.

I yawned and stretched my arms as I stood up from the wooden chair.

I intended to walk towards the entrance of the mountain, but I was distracted by a spot in the distance. 

The spot appeared to be some sort of creature, heading towards the gate. I scanned my surroundings, and once I was content that there weren't any other creatures coming to ambush the mountain, I went to meet the creature outside of the wall. 

Sprinting, I met the creature on the grassy plain. 

The creature's clothes looked grimy and worn out. 

Once the creature noticed my presence, it started making a run for me. 

I drew out my sword. "Stop there, foul beast!" I commanded. 

The creature removed its hood, and I instantly regretted what I had said, as I now recognized the creature to be my wife.

"Foul beast?" Elizabeth raised her eyebrows in a light-hearted manner. 

I attempted to choose my next words very carefully. "I thought you...you-"

She shrugged off the weird situation. "I came here to see you again," Elizabeth said. 

"You could have been harmed. Why did you go all of this way?" I questioned, perplexed. 

"Thorin," Elizabeth wrapped her arms around my neck. "I'm pregnant." 

I picked her up in my arms. "Really?" I asked, while spinning her around. 

She nodded. 

I'm going to be a father. 

In this moment, this simple moment, I felt only two emotions: pure love and joy.

***

Third Person Point of View

Thorin held the newborn baby in his hands, in complete awe of the child that was before him. 

Elizabeth walked towards the two, smiling. "I see that you're getting along with the baby." 

Thorin nodded, still entranced by the fact he was now a father. 

"I have an idea," he turned toward Elizabeth. "We should name him Thráin, after my father." 

"That's an excellent name, and it suits him too," Elizabeth replied.

Thorin looked back at the little baby, "I love you, Thráin."