7: Lyras valley

A/N: just wanted to give you guys a visual on Lyra's valley. It's as close as I could get to the image in my head- KJ

----------

Lyra-

I carried Baine and continued down the river when the ground started to slope down. It became rockier and the water got louder.

I came to a place where the river fell into a waterfall. Beyond that, I had a great view of everything. The rocky ground rose up, creating a bowl shaped valley. The waterfall fed a lake that just had to be teeming with fish.

There was trees on one side of the valley and then short hedgy grass everywhere else. I liked this place. I hurried down the large boulders that flanked the falls and down to the grass.

Looking around, I saw hoof prints in the mud along the lake edge. There wasn't just fish here. Something inside me swelled joyously.

I went to the very edge where the rocks went straight up. A small hole in the side of the rock wall made a cave. It was just barely tall enough for me to not hit my head on it.

I slowly scoped it out, making sure I didn't disturb a freaking bear or something. Nothing indicated that something lived in here, no bones, no poop, no paw prints.

I set Baine down and did a happy dance, oh yeah! This was Lyra's valley now! Baine laid against the rock wall and watched me curiously.

I could so stay here and make this a temporary home, I thought.

I stopped in my tracks, temporary didn't sit right. Remembering that no one came back for me, made me think that no one was ever going to come at all.

I dumped my pack and sat down. My eyes watered, threatening a breakdown. I sucked in a deep breath, "No, no more tears. You can do this Lyra, you know how to survive. If they won't come for you, then fine. I can make it. I refuse to die."

I pep-talked myself. Yeah, I could do this. I had to live, I couldn't just give up and die.

If they did come for me, I'd be ready. If they didn't, I'd be prepared for the long haul. I just accepted that I had to live here for now. I set to business since I had around three to four hours until sunset.

I grabbed my axe and started hacking birch trees. Each one went up against the mouth of the cave, tied together with some rope bits tightly.

After I had most of the birch trees in place like a wall, I fashioned a door. Its hinges were rope pieces tied loosely around the last beam that created a wall against wind and rain.

I thought about warmth and began stuffing moss and mud into the crevices, making a mess. For extra protection and to hold the trees to the rock, I picked up, or dragged, big river rocks and started to pile them against the beams as high as I could.

They created a second wall I set together with thick mud from the river bank.

Next I cleared out all the debris from my cave, smashed spiders, much to my horror, and brushed dirt out with a makeshift broom. I held what was left of my tarp down with rocks and unrolled my sleeping bag.

Tomorrow, I was going to get up early to see what made those tracks on the bank and to fish. I tied a rope around Baine's neck and then the other end to a heavy rock. I didn't want to loose my new friend.

I hated being alone and he made me feel less so. I let him have the blanket to sleep on. Pretty soon, darkness fell over my valley and I succumbed to sleep.

------------

I was awakened by Baine licking my cheek excitedly. He growled playfully and tugged at my hand. He sure felt better.