56: Clark

Lyra-

Bang bang bang.

Bang bang bang.

I sat up quickly. What the fuck was that?

Bang bang bang.

I hurriedly threw on one of Nathan's discarded shirts and wondered what the hell was making so much noise at this time of morning. I quick stepped through the semi-dark kitchen towards the screen door. Jumping when I saw a large figure standing there, beating on the door.

"Hey buddy I've got four more stops, think you can open the damned door today?"

It was so early, I couldn't understand why someone was standing at our door. I opened the screen door and leaned against the doorway. A man with a clipboard stood on the step, tapping away. He was a bigger guy and resembled a truck driver to me. 

He looked up with a rude expression but his eyes got wide as he saw me. I clenched my jaw as I watched his eyes wander over my bare legs and over the rest of me.

"Well hello there, I didn't realize you bought this cabin," He said in a deep voice. I nearly scowled at him. So this was the delivery guy. Excitement sparked within me, even if he did match Nathan's description. Time to go home.

"The names Clark," He grinned, sticking his hand out. I hesitantly took his hand and shook it "I'm-"

"My next girlfriend," He interrupted and smirked.

I yanked my hand back hurriedly, "Definitely not. Lyra, I'm Lyra."

"Aw cmon sugar, won't you invite me inside for a few hours?" He smirked at me and I scowled. Fucking creep.

"No," Came a firm voice behind me. I did an internal happy dance as Nathan put a hand on my waist and pulled me to his chest. 

Clark looked over my shoulder and his creepy smile dropped, "Oh great, you're here. I thought this little thing bought your cabin."

"Nope, it's still mine and so is she," Nathan growled.

I elbowed him slightly, "Listen..Clark, I don't know if it's been on the news or not but I'm Lyra Kellie. My plane crashed in the Rockies about thirty miles from here. We've been stuck out here for months and we'd like to get back to town. Can we hitch a ride with you?"

Clark didn't meet my gaze, his eyes stayed over my shoulder where he and Nathan were probably having a staring contest. 

"Sure thing toots, just go get your things and I'll take you wherever you wanna go," He finally said and winked at me. Nathan's grip on me tightened and I leaned against him to try to keep him from shooting this man. He was our only ride out of here. We needed to be extra nice.

"Thank you very much. We'll be right back with our bags, just sit right here," I smiled and grabbed Nathan's hand, pulling him to our room.

I grabbed my ready bag and threw on some jeans, a T-shirt, and my boots. Whipping my hair up into a messy ponytail, I briefly ran around the cabin to make sure we had everything.

"I told you that guys an asshole," Nathan growled, stuffing things into his bag and zipping it up.

"He's our ride out," I smiled at him.

"He flirts with you," Nathan scowled.

"Yeah, well, he's not getting anything," I promised and pecked his lips.