34: Cabin fever

Lyra-

"Cat," Nathan grumbled.

I growled and made another tick-tack-toe on the floor in the corner. That's the eighth cat (tie).

"Let's do something else?" I suggested. We both felt cooped up and frustrated.

"Like what? It's been snowing for like, three days straight," Nathan muttered.

He especially hated being trapped in here. I think he wanted to go out just  to go out. Baine lounged by the door, also looking bored. 

"So? We could...play in the snow?" I offered.

"Or you can come over here and take a nap with me and not  freeze our toes off," he grinned.

I smiled at him, "That's all we do now; take naps. I have enough energy to run a marathon. Let's go do something."

"Has it calmed down outside yet?" Nathan sat up and draped his arm over one knee.

I peeked out of a crack. The wind wasn't howling like it had been. It was no longer a white out but I could see snow flurrying down still.

"Yeah. Wanna go play?" I grinned.

"Your version of play and my version of play are completely different," he smirked with a chuckle and I blushed involuntarily.

I ignored his comment and started pulling on my snow stuff. Gloves, boots, my leggings under Nathan's sweatpants, my fur lined jacket under one of his big jackets, and my hat pulled over my ears.

Nathan got on his snow getup too. I opened the door and Baine almost knocked me down when he rushed past me. Nathan steadied me and chuckled. I huffed and walked out into the snow. Baine plunged into the deep snow bank pushed against the rock wall and yipped happily.

We walked around my valley and looked around.

"Hey Jay, look at this," Nathan said and I turned to see him standing on the bank.

"What?" I waded through the snow to him.

He grinned before turning and jumping off the bank.

"Oh my gosh!" I yelled only to see him slide away from me. The water had finally frozen over. The waterfall was thickly covered in ice and the stretch of river was completely covered. Now I was afraid it would crack.

"You dumbass!! Get off that ice!" I shouted and held my hand out for him to grab.

"Jay, it's fine," he smirked.

"It's gonna crack and suck you under and I'll have to save your ass," I growled, using my common sense.

He rolled his eyes, "The ice is about six inches  thick. Come skate with me."

I hesitated. I have actually fallen into a frozen lake before when we went ice fishing. It was cold, so cold, it was painful.

Nathan bounced on the ice and scooted around, "It's safe."

"I...don't know how to skate, we don't have any blades," I murmured. I've had bad experience with ice, twice.

"A world traveler, who's probably been to Iceland, doesn't know how to ice skate? Well that's okay, because this Texan doesn't know how either. I don't think we need any," he grinned at me, slid forward and held his hand out to me.

I bit my lip but stepped down and took his hand. My foot touched the ice and didn't move anywhere else, so I added the other to put all my weight on the ice.

I grinned and tried to move around, only to skid and slip constantly. I barely kept my footing and gripped Nathan's hand.

"I'm going to fall on my ass," I hissed and hugged my body to his to keep from sliding away.