35: Evil fun

Nathan-

"Hey baby won't you look my way!!" Lyra sang and played an invisible guitar. She was singing a song by Neon Trees, one song I actually knew believe it or not. This was her way with coping with cabin fever. I thought it was a very useful method.

Baine howled and avoided her dancing feet. I smiled and watched her dance and sing. She sure had a talent for singing. Her voice droned out the howling winds outside.

"I can be your new addiction!" She yelled and cleaned at the same time.

You already are, I thought and almost burned myself from not paying attention to the meat roasting.

"Hey baby whatcha gotta say?!" Lyra sang into her 'broom' handle.

You are absolutely beautiful.

"All you're givin' me is fiction! I'm a sorry sucker and this happens all the time! I found out that everybody talks! Everybody talks, everybody talks!" She shook her hips and pointed to me enthusiastically.

I grinned and gave in, "It started with a whisper and that was when I kissed her! And then she made my lips hurt, I can hear the chitchat! Take me to your love shack! Mamas always gotta backtrack when everybody talks back!"

She pulled me up and danced beside me until I started moving too.

"Hey baby you could be my drug! You could be my new prescription! Too much could be an overdose, all this trash talk got me itching! Oh my my shit!" She hip bumped me to the side and I bumped her back.

"Everybody talks, everybody talks, everybody talks too much," I put my hands on her hips and danced with her. She giggled and swayed her hips, singing the chorus like she was the one who wrote it.

"Why don't you sing like this all the time?" I asked and bent to flip the rabbit meat.

"Dunno," she shrugged and flopped down on the sleeping bag.

"Well you so should," I sat down and tossed her a chunk on a stick.

She caught it and ripped a piece off with her teeth, "Meh."

I just rolled my eyes and smiled. After throwing Baine his meal, I settled down and ate my own.

Outside looked like a blur of white. The wind blew loose snow into the valley and made it build up on the far wall from which the river came. I was relived that it hadn't covered the crack because every now and then, we wanted something other than frozen elk and deer meat. We liked the fresh goodies.

The snow was about eighteen inches or more now and because the wind was so harsh against it, it hardened into a semi snow-ice sort of solid. I could step on it and not sink at all. That also meant I had to crawl my way out anytime I wanted to leave the cave. I mostly did it because the fear or Lyra getting attacked was still there.

"I hate being trapped in here," I groaned, leaning against the wall.

"Well get used it because we have a long winter to go. But we're under the snow line on the mountains by a good thousand feet. Our winter will not be too long," she reasoned happily.

I'm not sure how she knew that but okay.

---------------

Two weeks later

Lyra-

I yawned and opened my eyes sleepily. Somehow, I'd found my way on top of Nathan. I lifted my head and set my chin on his chest. Giggling at his position, his mouth open a little, totally peaceful, his hair all over, I smiled at him.