30: I look like Katniss

Nathan-

"Jay, we're looking for elk remember?" I hurried after her, struggling to slip my bag back onto my shoulder. 

"Oh yeah..well who says we can't do both?" she grinned at me and continued to track the elk.

"These guys are moving slow," Lyra murmured, her eyes on the ground.

Baine darted around, sniffing here and there and running every which way excitedly.

It was a little while until the trees started to thin out. I didn't have to slash any more when we quietly approached a very large meadow. It was at least three times larger than the meadow Lyra and I hunted in. The elk were about thirty yards away.

A few raised their heads at the minimal noise we made. Lyra and I froze simultaneously and Baine dropped into a crouch beside me. They dismissed us and went back to nibbling.

"C'mon, we're going to get what we came for," Lyra whispered and pointed at some brush.

We snuck over quietly and dove behind the bushes. Baine sat down in a pool of sun and watched the elk with great interest silently. We watched for a little while. After taking a few pictures, I searched for the bull and eventually found him meandering through the herd.

Lyra started shaking my arm with a focused look on her face. She pointed a ways away. The mountains jutted up about a mile away. White, unnatural specks stood out against the dark rock. I took out my binoculars and focused them in.

Mountain goats. I grinned and handed them to Lyra. She spotted them right away and smiled.

I tapped her thigh when the elk started our way. She shook her head slightly and gestured to another bull that was already standing broadside. It was a little smaller but otherwise a nice bull. She didn't want to wait on the leader. 

As quietly as I could, I clicked open my bow case and notched an arrow. Lyra's eyes widened when I handed it to her. I nodded to the elk and she grinned excitedly. She drew my bow, and waited.

All at once, she stood up and let the arrow fly in one swift motion. All the elk turned their heads and took one look before running towards the end of the valley.

The bull stumbled after them, grunting harshly.

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes!" She yelled and attacked me for a hug. I laughed and hugged her back before we noticed Baine had sprung up and started sprinting after it.

"Baine! Baine come here!" Lyra shouted but he didn't stop, she let go and dropped to the ground. We looked at each other before running after him, leaving most of our stuff. He and the bull were a ways away.

"Look at that," I laughed and stopped running, Lyra stopping beside me.

Baine easily caught up to the elk and darted around in front of it, snarling and snapping at it. The bull stopped and grunted. He swayed his antlers at Baine but he was too sluggish to hit him.

Baine danced around him, nipping at his legs and trying to pull him to the ground. Blood was pouring down the elks side. It stumbled and tried to run again but Baine got in front of it and barred his teeth, dodging the poor attempts the elk made with his antlers.

"What's he doing?" I asked Lyra.

"What wolves would usually do. He's keeping it to where we can have it. If he he hadn't been washed away, he'd be doing this for his pack. I told you it was a good idea to take him," she nudged me before taking off.

I rushed after her. We ran behind Baine and wave our arms erratically to keep the bull in place, waiting for its energy to deplete since Baine probably couldn't hold him long. Let me tell you that this wasn't safe at all.