84: Pictures and Memories

One year later

Lyra-

I sat up and yawned, my metal alarm waking me at sunrise. Turning to wake my boyfriend, I was surprised to see he wasn't there. I always woke him up, so this was odd.

In his place was a note on his pillow with a pink rose. I picked them up and smiled. What's he up to? He's been acting strange lately as if he's jumpy. It's been weird.

Good morning beautiful! I'm sorry I wasn't here to give you a morning kiss but I had some things I had to do. Go ahead and do your routine, then take our favorite trail. I'll be waiting! Love you Jay!
              - Nate.

Well that's cute. I smelled the rose and enjoyed it's sweet scent. I smiled to myself and wondered what Nathan had planned. Maybe a special date night like he did a few weeks ago.

I hurriedly jumped out of bed and got dressed. He said to go ahead and do my normal routine, so I will. Since I've been here, I realized I like the ranching life. I never knew I would like being a farmer.

So I completely adopted the entire idea of it and just rolled with it. Randy plans to hand over his farm to Nathan when he retires, but for now, Nathan and I invested in some crops a long while ago. Spring is here and we actually got the corn in the ground, along with beans.

That was going to be our schedule, all of which I kept up with because Nathan can't organize anything for his life. We planned on doing corn and beans for two years and then pumpkins and potatoes for two years to keep it mixed up and refresh the earth with something different.

While I was buttoning up my light blue shirt, my phone rang. I picked it up and answered, pressing it between my cheek and shoulder so I could tuck my shirt into my jeans.

"Hello?"

"Hey pumpkin."

"Hey daddy," I smiled and walked to the bathroom.

"We'll be at Mays today for lunch," He said and I raised an eyebrow.

"Why? It's Sunday. We always have lunch at yours on Sunday's," I set the phone on speaker and laid it on the counter so I could brush my hair out.

Dad had kept his word when he said he'd move down here. He lived about twenty miles away on a few acres of land, which was fabulous for hunting.

"We just thought we'd mix it up today. Besides....I've got a little ant problem so a guy is going I be spraying today."

"We?" I asked, pulling through a tangle.

"May, Randy and I," He said quickly.

"Well alright. If that's what you guys want to do," I said casually.

"We'll see you later pumpkin, bye."

"Okay dad. Bye," I said and hung up. He never told me about any any problem. I shrugged and left the bathroom, pulling a belt through my pant loops. Stepping into my boots, I grabbed my hat off the rack and plopped it on my head. When I walked outside, Baine rushed over to me to greet me.

I scratched his head and walked to the tack shed. I grabbed his bowl and filled it up. He attacked it as soon as I set it down. Then I grabbed buckets of other feed to go give the other animals breakfast.

When I told Nathan I wanted a little farm yard of our own, he didn't hesitate. I went one hundred percent southern girl.

Now, we have goats, chickens and horses. Nathan transferred Copper and Loki to our barn, which is a little smaller than his parents' barn, and then he got me an appaloosa mare of my own named Cheecha. I fell in love with her and, don't tell the others, but she's my favorite.