Chapter Ten

Sky

Everyone thinks I'm delicate, breakable.  Unable to keep myself in one piece without someone there to support me.  Sure, sometimes I can't but no one can all the time, no one always has it all together at every moment of every day.

I hide behind my naturally small voice and my ability to keep the thoughts in my head, in my head. I didn't say everything that popped into my head. I learned that from my grandmother. It was the one thing I was grateful to her for. She taught me how to hide myself, from myself and from others.  My name was Sky Robinson, and I was a master of deception.

Lying on the ground by my bed I stared at the blank walls of my room, blank like me, bland and pure white. Untouched.

"Why you?" my grandmother whispered harshly from deep inside my head. "Because you my dear, are the Devil. The Devil himself in his purest form. "

My flashback started,

"You Dirty, Idiotic, Worthless girl!" she screamed at me. Not holding back her anger any more. "WHY YOU?! WHY YOU?" she screeched grabbing a chunk of my hair. "YOU KILLED HIM YOU WHORE, YOU ARE A SLUT JUST LIKE THEY SAID." pulling my hair she yanked me upstairs, towards that damn closet. Towards my living hell. I didn't even have to ask how she knew, I talked in my sleep, telling my stories. my nightmares. "strip," she commanded, not even sparing me a glance. I toke off my jeans and tee-shirt I got to wear when her friends were around and looked at her, she handed me a old fashioned dress. Putting it over my head she took the corset tied into it and pulled, until I could scarcely breath.

Shoving me into the closet I fell to my knees, hearing the door click behind me, I stared hard at the mirrors, spitting at myself and turned my head away, disgusted. I looked at the bare walls, Turned my body towards them and leaning down, put my head on the ground near them. I couldn't keep living like this. Living in this Hell was going to kill me slowly, day by day.

My body shook with one of the invasions. My father trying to escape my body, she said. To go to heaven and not rot in the horrible places deep in my mind. All I could feel was my body slamming against the floor harshly. And all I could see, was my ugly, horrible, body shaking on the ground. Holding the souls of the two people I cared most deep within its grasp.

I deserve this. I thought as I finally fell into the darkness. Still just staring at my trembling body.

End of flashback

Coming back into my own, now sixteen year old body was a relief from that Hell. I reached up and tugged at my blond locks, now cut short. reminding me I was free, to make my own decisions and to be myself.

"You'll never be free of me, girl. I will always find you. even if you do manage to get away I will find you and make your life ten times worse than before." I heard my small self respond to her in that long ago place, voice higher pitched from my young age, "Of course grandmother, I deserve everything you do." The exact words she had told me over and over teaching me to always respond with that, never laying a hand on me but still managing to  beat me into submission. by crushing my soul.

When I really thought about it, all I did was slice my hair off, make it shorter, I succeeded in changing my appearance. That was all. I didn't do anything to change myself. I would always be weak, unable to keep control of a situation. Always a little girl being told what to do.

"Worthless Whore." I whispered as my body started shaking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andi

I was sitting in the living room I had recently discovered when Brody burst through the door. Looking very upset.

"So did you know about what happened to Sky's parents?" he asked me, using a tone of voice that sent shivers down my spine.

"They were shot in a random accident?" I asked, knowing I was right.

"Well it wasn't fucking random." he said stomping into the kitchen where Sky sat, drinking coffee while trying to make me some tea. Notice I said trying.

Stopping where she sat he turned her chair around so the back was facing the counter, leaning over her and putting his arms on either side of her trembling body he leaned down into her face. "Did. You. Know." he said punctuating every word by slamming his hand into the counter behind her.

Running over I grabbed his arm. "Stop it Brody!! STOP!!" I screamed.  Watching Sky's terrified face.

Shawn ran into the room and seeing Brody grabbed him, restraining his arms "Quit it man, what the fuck is wrong with you!" He gritted out getting in Brody's face.

"Her parents ran Heaven's Dirt."

Shawn backed away looking like he'd seen a ghost. He was staring at Sky as if she would set on fire at any moment if he got to close.

"What's Heaven's dirt?" Sky whispered, her soft voice breaking the suddenly very tense silence.

--------------------------------------------