Last flight out

"I'm so scared that you will see all the weakness inside of me. I'm so scared of letting go all the pain I feel will show..." Last flight out by Plus One

Draco seems to be rooted on the ground. It took him a minute before he was able to move again. He blinked many times and tried think hard; should he approach her or should he just walk away? He exhaled and straightened his cloak, "It's now or never Draco, you have to do it", he said to himself. He walked towards her and started to practice the most charming smile he can muster.

Hermione snapped out of her stupor when she heard footsteps closing in. She quickly wiped her cheeks and turned around. She squinted and indeed saw someone coming towards her. She felt her breath hitch in her throat when she noticed the stranger's familiar features; tall, pale and his tell-tale silver blonde hair. Her eyes grew bigger as her heart started thumping wildly inside her chest, "Oh my Merlin..." she gasped.

He walked towards her, his trademark smirk firmly in place.

She felt her nerves go haywire when she got a better look of the face she missed so much. She shifted on her feet as she tried her best to let out a smile that can be considered passable given their awkward situation.

He moved closer but made sure to stop at a safe distance. The tension between them seems to double when their eyes meet for the first time, he felt his knees buckle but he'll be damned first before he let it show. He arranged his features, masking the resurfacing feelings that are running havoc inside his chest.

She held her breath as she watched him stop. She made a mental inventory of his features before she found the courage to speak, "It's nice seeing you again Draco, how have you been?"

"I'm doing well," he replied. He then slipped his hands inside his pockets and kept his face passive, "And you?"

"I'm also doing well...weird place to meet, eh?" she said with a nervous chuckle. "How can he be so bloody calm", she thought.

"Yeah, of all the places to meet - we meet here" he replied, his eyes raking over her face. "God, she still beautiful," he thought.

Complete silence...

She shifted on her feet again, "Uhm - it was nice seeing you again, but I have to go" she said as she averted her gaze. "Oh god no...if I stay here longer I might end up crying," she thought.

He fisted his hands inside his pockets, "Yeah...go on ahead, it was nice seeing you too" he replied. "She's running away again," he thought bitterly.

"Okay then, goodbye," she said with a hint of sadness. She spun on her heels and started walking away. She was almost back on the pathway when she suddenly stopped; she turned her face towards his, "I'm so sorry for everything Draco...so sorry" she said softly before continuing with her trek.

He watched her leave, taking every piece of his broken heart with her for the second time.

oOo

It's been minutes since Hermione left and yet Draco can't make himself leave. He kept replaying every second of their conversation, hoping that he missed something - anything that can lessen the ache in his chest. "Damn it!" he yelled in frustration. He braced his hands on his hips and bowed his head in defeat. He was doing fine at the beginning; he was able to hold his fort and kept his mask of indifference in place. But then, she had to open her mouth at the end and decided to use an apology as parting words. He closed his eyes and clenched his jaw tightly. He thought that after all that have happened, after all that she put him through, he'll be able to face her again and feel nothing - clearly, he miscalculated. "Stupid, so stupid..." he whispered.

oOo

Physically exhausted and emotionally wrought, Hermione finally made it to the gates. She wrapped her arms around her waist and hugged herself, "What did you expect? That he'll tell you he missed you and kiss you like nothing happened? Stop kidding yourself - forgiveness doesn't come easy" she said to herself. She took a deep breath before pulling her wand out of her pocket. She threw the lake one last glance before flicking her wand, disapparating on the spot.

oOo

"Is it really her? Does she still love me? Why the hell did she cry?" Three questions that keep on running through his head. It has already been hours since their encounter, but he still can't make himself leave. He walked aimlessly along the silent grounds, his feet unconsciously taking him to the Quidditch Pitch. He plopped down to the grass and fell on his back; he fixed his eyes on the sky, his hand rubbing his chest. "Just forget it Draco, it would be a hell lot easier," he said to himself. The corner of his eyes began heating up as his vision started to be blurry; he closed his eyes and let the floodgates to his aching heart open.