(one)

riley

{1:03 a.m}

I take one last look at my room, my neatly made bed, my organized wooden desk, my collage of photos that consisted of both family and friends pinned to my creamy white walls.

the room looks completely untouched, except for one thing; the note. I pick up the paper, which still has little fringes on the edge from where I tore it out of my notebook, and scan it over one last time.

dear family,

please understand that I'm okay, and there's no need to come after me. I have not been stolen, nor bribed to leave home. this is my own decision, and I pray that you can at least respect that.

father, you always told me that it was your one and only job to get me ready to take on the world on my own. you said that once you've done that, you will have raised me well. I feel like I am ready to take on this world on my own, meaning... you are finished raising me. I'll admit, you haven't been the best of fathers, but thank you for trying your best.

mother, don't cry for me. don't think up all the horrid possibilities of what could be happening to me. don't feel as though this is all your fault. though, it is a portion of your fault. you, father, jay, and the brutal works of society have led me out the door. I'm not crying, so you shouldn't either.

jayden knows she'll be fine without me. she says it almost everyday. but it isn't her fault either. don't let her cry over this.

I've left a specific note for laura, the one who lives across the street. please deliver it to her.

with love,

riley.

I folded it back up, letting out a large breath before painting a smile on my face. this was it. all I've been dreaming of since I was merely fourteen. that was the day I began to prepare, saving up my money for two whole years just for this particular day. oh, how amazing it feels.

I slide my black backpack onto my shoulders, leave behind my phone, my laptop, and basically everything that has consisted of my life, and slowly but surely, I walk out of the house.

the street lights bounce off the sidewalk, giving me a positive sense of energy as I basically skip through the empty streets. I left at exactly one in the morning to make sure no one would notice me leaving or be awake soon enough to find me.

I repeat the directions of the bus station in my head over and over until I make it there. the station is empty, aside from a few business-looking men waiting on the bench for the bus to come. I confidently walk over to the guy behind the desk, handing him my pre-ordered ticket, and flashing him a smile.

"you a little young to be by yourself?" he asks, his voice coming off as raspy and tiresome. I shake my head, remembering back to when I had played this conversation over and over in my head when I was ordering the ticket.

"I'm visiting my grandma. didn't want to take the day train... too crowded and whatnot." I say with confidence, not showing how completely mortified I am that he could catch me, call my parents, and send me home with them.

"smart kid." he hands me back my ticket. "be safe."

"thank you, sir." I smile, walking over to an empty bench and patiently, yet quite anxiously, waiting for the bus to come.
I love this feeling. the rapid beating of my heart because I'm doing something way out of my comfort zone, the tingling sensation in my chest because I have no idea what awaits me in the near future, but mostly the feeling of complete and absolute freedom.