(twenty-four)

riley

I tried my best to hold myself together, but as his slow breaths came through the phone, I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I squeezed my eyelids shut, blocking out the world and focusing in on his familiar tone of voice.

"riley, just tell me where you are." he tried again, asking of the same exact thing as he has five other times in the past few minutes.

I don't want him to know how broken up I'm getting over a simple phone call, so I minimize the amount of speaking I do. that's only making him worse; he seems anxious, concerned, and even guilty.

the last thing I wanted was for him or emily or cage or matthew to feel guilty; like I left because of something they had done wrong. because that was absolutely not the case. the ideal situation would be for them to continue being happy without me there, but I had a feeling that wasn't happening either.

"please, riley," he said breathlessly, causing me to inhale a sharp breath, "you called me for a reason."

I clamped my eyes shut, focusing in on his familiar tone of voice and blocking out everything else.

"I wanted to tell you that I'm okay," I managed to say, and the weight of the air around me was suddenly too much, and I needed to lean beside the phone booth's wall for support.

"you don't sound okay." he said softly.

that's only because I miss you.

"I had something I needed to do, and I don't want any of you worrying about me, alright?" I said, quietly. my eyes were still closed, concentrating on every small detail of his presence.

I hadn't realized I had missed him this much. I was distracted by laura and making sure she was okay and filling in for the gap of time I had spent away from her.

"riley, please tell me where you are," he pried, mumbling something more under his breath in anger before adding, "wait— have you gone home?"

I caught my breath in my throat and licked my dry lips, "chandler, I have to--"

"no, don't you dare hang up." he said, but it was more like a demand. and suddenly he didn't seem so calm or soothing anymore.

"riley, you're supposed to trust me," he began, his words a bit harsh, "that's what relationships are; trust. so why the hell have I been searching endlessly around town for you for a whole three weeks, worrying my ass off, wondering if you were taken or hurt?!"

there was so many emotions in his voice, it was hard to count them all.

"I'm sorry." was all I could think to respond with. I was deeply sorry for making him worry.

"don't be sorry." his voice was sharp now, like knives slicing the words into my gut. "just tell me where you are, right now."

I pursed my lips and thoroughly thought it over. it isn't like he'll miss school; he dropped out. he could meet laura, and I'm sure they'll get along nicely. and we won't have to miss each other with everything we have.

"okay."

---

chandler told me what was going to happen, all the way up until he arrived.