(twenty-five)

riley

jayden and I were both speechless for a while, standing arms length away from each other outside the cute little coffee place. I had gotten her to agree not to call anyone, and she powered her phone down to assure me. now I just needed to make sure she didn't go home squealing to our parents or her friends in there.

"this has to stay between me and you," I instructed, "you can't tell your friends or, especially, mom and dad."

I wanted to visibly wince at the words mom and dad as they slipped out of my mouth, but I stayed neutral for jayden.

she hesitated, looking anywhere but my eyes before shrugging, "sure, okay."

that wasn't good enough for me.

"no jay, you've got to promise me." I stated, crossing my arms over my chest to show seriousness, "swear that you'll keep this to yourself."

she waited, almost too long, before closing her eyes and nodding, "I promise, okay?"

I gave her a tight, half smile, but she didn't return it. this might be the one time she's agreed to do something nice for me.

"thank you," I said.

I knew what I did next was going to be uncomfortable and awkward, but nevertheless, I snaked my arms and my little sister (who happens to be slightly taller than me with her high heels) and stepped into a tight embrace. jayden stiffened, staying as still as a statue as I nestled my head into her hair, taking in her warm vanilla scent.

"I am sorry for this, you know," I started, untying myself from around jayden and stepping back one, "I'm probably the worst sister ever to you, and I'm sorry that it's got to be this way."

with that, I reluctantly spun around on my heel and started to walk away.

"It doesn't, really." she said softly, sincerely. "you could come home, and things could be different."

I shot her a sad smile and slowly shook my head, indicating that that could not happen. I lifted my hand in the air and waved it lightly at her, signaling the final goodbye as I turned the corner and started speeding towards the hospital to wait for chandler's arrival.

but I could almost swear, just before I was out of ear shot, I heard the slightest, but I miss you.

---

when I stormed into laura's hospital room with a half sad/half happy smile on my face, I found the room to be completely empty.

"laura?" I called out, thinking she could be in the bathroom. but before laura could answer my call, a passing doctor that was working with her caught sight of me and called me to him.

"we've released her, just this morning." he said to me.

"she just.. went home?" I asked, confused.

"her parents picked her up," he told me, "they signed all the paperwork in advance."

my face fell, and my shoulders sank. her parents took her home, and that means it's going to be ten times as difficult for me to see her. but, note that I said difficult, not impossible.

I glanced back into the empty hospital room, thinking deeply. then the ticking clock caught my eye, and I couldn't hold in my gasp.

it's almost six o'clock, and chandler told me his estimated flight arrival was five thirty, which means he'll be here any minute.

with that thought still prominent in my mind, I darted for the stairs, taking them by twos and threes as I hoped to the main floor. the urge to be held by chandler riggs began to take over every fiber of my body, making my limbs feel both numb and sparkling with adrenaline as I pushed through the groups of people in my way.