The Team Ch.4

When I parked in the driveway, I noticed my dad was home. I was so excited to tell him I made the team. He would be so proud. He loves lacrosse. We would go to all the games that he was able to get off of work for. I ran in inside, too excited to walk.

"Dad?" I called out.

"In the kitchen, honey." He answers.

"Guess what?" I said as I rounded the corner.

"You grew an extra finger?" He joked.

"No, last I checked," I look at my hands, humoring him. "I got great news though. I made the lacrosse team! I made first line. The first game is next Saturday. It be cool if you went. Unless you have to work that night."

"That's great honey. I'm so proud of you! I'll be there. Don't worry." He looked tired.

The late nights at the hospital must be really getting to him.

"Have you seen mom?" I already knew the answer but I asked anyways.

She was probably at the bar, yet again. She had been drinking since my grandparents died in a car wreck, when I was 2. She was a raging alcoholic.

Around the time I turned 6, she had started the abuse. At first it was verbal, then it became physical. No one knew. My father worked a lot, so he wasn'taround much.

When the abuse became physical, she would throw things. Would hit me, screaming that I was the reason her parents died. They were bringing me home after spending the day with them.

Most of time I don't see her because she was out drinking and doesn't come home until 1 a.m.

I break out my internal monologue, I tend to do that  more often than not.

"Dad? Could a friend come over tonight?" I ask innocently.

"Depends, which friend?" He looked over at me with a quizzical look.

"Danny."

"Yeah sure. Does he like pizza?"

"Yes dad. Who doesn't like pizza?" I asked nonchalantly.

"You never know. I'll order after a while. When is he coming over?

"I'm not sure, but I'll let you know." I headed upstairs .

I smiled to myself. He was one of the greatest dad's in the world. When he had time. He hardly did though.

Hey you can come on over

Be right there

Over the next twenty minutes I spent on my phone taking pictures of myself. I know, I know. It's a bit narcissistic, but I was just somewhat bored. I know everyone has at least one photo of themselves on their phone. I can't be the only one.

Anyways, I didn't know Danny had shown up until he poked his head in. His laughing was what caused me to fall off my bed. I just so happened to be on the edge, teetering to get the perfect angle. I threw a pillow at him making him laugh even harder.

"You are so lucky you're my best friend. Otherwise I would've hurt you for laughing at me. Dad's going order pizza for dinner. You like pizza, right?" I asked.

"Who doesn't like pizza? Wait, don't answer that. Everyone likes pizza." He laughed.

"Man, it feels like forever since we've gotten to hang out. Oh by the way, can you help me up? I'm lazy." I stretch my arms towards the ceiling.

He grabbed my hand and heaved me up, fake panting as he did. I punched him in the shoulder as we sat down on my bed.

"I'm not that heavy!" I exclaimed.