The Funeral Ch. 7

The funeral was going to held on Tuesday. I know it's so soon but we didn't have any family. It's just me and dad now. My dad was an only child and his parents died when he was younger. So much tragedy in our family.

I spent most of Sunday with Danny, Lydia, and Jackson. Danny insisted that I'd get out. Lydia was nice and Jackson wasn't a total douche for once.

Lydia and I talked about fashion, stuff like that, while the boys talked about lacrosse. I tried listening so I could see if they had any pointers, but Lydia kept insisting I listen to her theory on banning plaid. Personally I like plaid, but it is what it is.

This was a good day despite what had happened the day before. My heart was still heavy, but I suspected it was going to be for a long time. I don't think I'll completely get over the death of my mother. Losing a mother is a hard blow, even if you didn't know her that well.

I spent the night with Danny. I figured I'd spend some more time with him. I haven't been a good friend the past week. We talked all night, about random things. He gave me some tips for lacrosse, because I was a little lost. He went over the plays so I could get more familiar with them. It was nice, to have this time with him.

Monday morning rolled around. I don't know if people will know about my mother. I hope it didn't spread around the school. Like this town doesn't gossip. When I walked into school, people stopped and stared. I stopped in my tracks, not really used to all the staring. Danny had to take my arm and steer me to my locker.

"Hey, don't let it get to you." He said, once we got to our lockers.

"I don't know if I can handle all this attention, Danny. I've never been center of attention before. People I've spoke to are staring at me. I don't know what to do!" I started to panic.

He could tell I was close to having a panic attack. Taking my arm once again, he lead me into an empty classroom. My breathing was jagged, heart pounding. My vision going in and out of focus.

Danny put his hands on my shoulders. I look at his troubled eyes.

"It's going to be hard, I know. Just focus on me right now. We'll take this step by step. Don't worry, as long as I'm around, you got me and I got you ok?"

I focused on my breathing. Once I calmed down, he hugged me. I may not like to be touched, but Danny knew me better than I knew myself and he knew when I was upset like this I needed a hug. I was so glad he was my best friend.

"Thank you Danny. I honestly don't know what I'd do without you," I said sadly.

"You'd still be the girl who couldn't trust anyone. I know you never thought you could trust someone, but by now you should know you can trust me," He pointed out.

"I do trust you. I know I don't show it enough."

We sat there for a minute or two before the bell rang. We walked to my locker. He didn't want to leave me alone all day so he walked me to every class. I'm so glad that Jackson became his friend in middle school.

For the rest of the day, people came up to me telling me they were sorry for my loss. Even people I had never spoken a word to. The teachers were sympathetic even Mr. Harris. That I didn't expect.

Finally lacrosse practice came about. I quickly changed and waited for Danny outside the boys locker room. I didn't want to take the chance that I could see something I didn't want to see if I went in. So I just waited outside.

When he came out, we walked to the field together. Coach had us do some warm ups. Then we got the chance to try our luck against defence. Coach had Jackson on defence, and Scott was the first one to go up against him. This wasn't going to be good.