=^.^= Chapter 12 =^.^=

The next day was a teacher day, meaning there would be no school. Zayn wouldn't be coming by so he was on his own with the hybrids today. Harry slept in, knowing that he needed rest for the day to come. He would have to go out and buy a few more things to accommodate for another person. He didn't mind. He was just glad he was no longer alone in his tiny flat.

"Harry." Louis whispers, walking into the room. He's hungry and Harry is the only one who can make him food. He usually just waits for Harry to wake up, but Louis woke up early and has been awake for a while. So now he really craves some food. "Harry." He whispers again. Harry stirs, turning to see that Louis stands in the room. He yawns as he sits up in bed.

"You hungry Lou?" Harry already knows that Louis is. When Louis nods, he climbs out of bed and moves toward him. He pulls him in for a quick hug and then he guides him out of the room. "Alright let's go make you some food." Louis beams and they make their way to the kitchen. Harry stays in the kitchen, while Louis is off to watch his usual morning cartoons. Liam eventually joins him, having just woken up.

Harry finishes making eggs, bacon, and toast and sets three plates. He calls the hybrids to breakfast and they both walk in. As they eat Harry explains the plan for the day.

"Since, I don't have work today, I was thinking we could go to the mall and buy you clothes Liam." He says as he takes a bite of his bacon. Liam is about to protest, but Louis is already answering.

"Yes. Louis likes the mall. Mall have ice cream." He giggles. Harry nods and turns to Liam, seeking an answer. Liam replies with a small 'ok' and then they all finish up and get ready

=O=o=O=

Shopping for Liam goes about the same as when he went shopping for Louis. The visit the same store, but this time, Liam picks out a few different clothes. He actually grabs some jeans- which have to be cut to accommodate his tail- and some shirts his own size. Harry gets him a new pair of Converse and jacket and then they're paying and making their way to the food court. Louis remembers the way and squeals when he sees the ice cream parlor. Harry laughs and Liam smiles and they make their way over.

Harry orders another banana split and asks for two spoons. He knows that Louis won't use it, but he wonders if Liam will. He places the treat on the table and Liam's eyes light up, never having eaten something so sweet. Harry hands him a spoon and surprisingly Liam knows how to use it. Harry feds Louis and takes a few spoonfuls for himself.

As they eat, Harry can't help but notice the differences Liam and Louis share. Liam appears to know a lot more than Louis. He speaks normally and knows how to use utensils. Harry is curious as to why that is. He plans to ask Liam later, for now he enjoys the ice cream with them.

=O=o=O=

Later that day, after the mall, Liam and Harry sit alone in the lounge. Louis went off to play with the Play-Doh Zayn let him borrow. He figures that now would be a good time to ask about Louis.

"Hey Liam." Harry starts, looking away from the movie they put on to look at Liam.

"Yeah?" Liam mutters keeping his eyes on the screen.

"Can ask you something?" Liam finally looks away from the screen to turn to Harry fully.

"Sure."

"I noticed that you are I guess you could say a little more advanced than Louis is. I was wondering if you could tell me why. I just want to know, you know. I really want to understand Louis." Liam sighs. He knew this question was bound to come up sooner or later. He was just hoping it would come later.

"Louis had a hard time at the hybrid house. But who wouldn't. We were all orphans destined to go to homes, but then we were swept up by people who wanted to create hybrids for money." Liam sighs, memories flashing through his head.

"When hybrids are created they have to go through the learning process all over again. We went to school where we learned how to talk and use proper manners. Louis was different though. He was unique. He was the first one to be turned. They didn't know at the time how much of the cat gene should be mixed with the human DNA to create the right mix. They gave him too much of the feline gene. When he awoke, they knew he wouldn't talk, but as the taught him, they noticed that he wasn't advancing. He was having a hard time relearning basic skills. It took him a long time to even begin to speak. They were hard on him on for it. He was set aside. They called him the first attempt failure." Liam could feel a wave of emotion hitting him now. "They used to hit him every time he did something wrong, but in time they realized it wasn't helping either way."

Harry feels himself tearing up. He couldn't believe anyone could hurt such a precious soul. He feels anger towards the people who hurt Louis. He also feels depressed, thinking of all the times they must have hit him. That was why he was so scared when they first met. Liam had stopped to take a deep breath and collect his thoughts. He then resumes his story.

"Anyway, Louis was seen as the weak one. Most of the other hybrids steered clear of him, thinking the people there would get mad at them for associating with him. I couldn't take seeing him so miserable. So I became his friend. No one really noticed anyway. Louis was definitely nicer than any of the other hybrids. They all sort of made it a competition to be at the top so they would be adopted first. Louis was genuine and I admire that about him. Sure he's different, but it makes him special." Liam finishes. He calms down before a fleeting thought runs through his mind.

"You know when I first tried to talk to him, he flinched. He was so fearful when it came to interacting. He thought I was going to be cruel to him like the rest. It took a long time for me to break down his walls." He looks up and stares at Harry deeply. "You're different though. He let you in from the start. He lets you touch him and it's only been a few weeks. It took months before he would even let me touch so much as his hand." Harry can't believe what he's hearing. When he thinks about it, Liam's right. Louis was frightened from the start, sure, but now. Now he let Harry give him cuddles and kisses on his temple. He let Harry wrap his arms around and protect him.

Harry felt incredibly special with this new knowledge. Now knowing this, he knew he couldn't abuse his power. He was going to be the one to keep Louis tucked away and protected from the cruel world.