P | A Pilot's Regrets

Loving Edyth SwanPrologue

Loving Edyth Swan
Prologue

09/11/99

The only two things that could truly keep people from finding their way back to each other are regret and fear.

Jonathan Attwood had enough of those to last him a lifetime.

He was as stubborn as the next person, refusing to admit that he had done anything wrong and would choose to lay blame elsewhere.

All he'd ever known in his life was how to run away from things and people, especially as the going got tough.

He found he was a coward amongst a den of lions.

There weren't many people in the world that understood him right down to his very core, and those that did, he kept them at arm's length. It was the safest place for them and him.

At least that's what he kept telling himself.

The truth was, he hadn't met anyone in the last five years who understood him as well as somebody he'd let go of a long time ago.

He had made some friends in the Air Force, but he couldn't find it in himself to open up. The other boys had realised long ago that he was a book full of riddles.

The young man hardly spoke much and loved to keep to himself most of the time.

He quite enjoyed their Friday nights where the pilots would go out to a local pub and get smashed. It was the only time they weren't constantly working.

It was also the only time Jonathan spoke up and cracked a few jokes – the only time the blonde man could forget about the life he had left at home.

The mistakes he'd made in life that led him to where he was today; flying planes for the Australian Royal Air force.

Despite the fact Jonathan loved his job, he still missed his home town of Melbourne desperately. He'd tried to forget all of the people he had left behind years prior, but it was becoming extremely difficult as time went by.

He was beginning to dream about places he'd long left behind and faces he couldn't forget. They were even haunting him in real life, in faces not quite theirs.

Having hardly slept much these days, he chalked it up to all the mere nightmares. The lie rolled easily off his tongue to his bunk mate, Adam, whenever probed about it.

Adam Doberman was a short, chubby redhead.

At least, that's what all of his pictures represented.

He had told Jonathan that his dream to join the Air Force required loss of weight. He'd spent many months losing weight in order to be a pilot. It'd been an extensive length of time explained by Adam.

He detailed the amount of vigorous exercise he had to do in order to just be under the weight limit. He still looked a little round to Jonathan, but he chose not to voice his thoughts the day they'd met. It wouldn't do good to make enemies on the first day.