05 | Hidden Talents & Nerves

Loving Edyth SwanChapter Five

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter Five

27/11/93

Nerves skyrocketed in the pit of Jonathan Attwood's stomach as he tried to take a deep breath.

He pulled open the curtains slightly, taking a look out at the crowd. The pub was packed, even more so than usual, which terrified Jonathan.

There were people seated on chairs and even up at the bar. There was a drink in everybody's hands which calmed Jonathan a tad. If they were drunk, perhaps they'd hardly notice if he were to strike out or not.

"Hey," Kishan Porter whispered, tapping his taller friend on the shoulder.

"It's just one gig. You've been waiting for this for a long time, don't chicken out," he added, quietly as his brown eyes searched out his friend's green ones.

Jonathan shuffled awkwardly on his feet, before answering his friend, "I've never done this before. You're like the only one that knows my love for music."

Kishan smiled slightly, "And I think you're great. You just have to believe in yourself more," he commented, nudging his elbow with his friend's.

Jonathan nodded slightly, "You're right. I just have to rip the band-aid off," he affirmed, more to himself really, than his mate.

"That's the spirit," Kishan grinned, nodding in approval.

"And if you strike out, then we think basketball really is your place in the world," he added before walking off in search for a seat to see his good friend play.

Jonathan frowned, unsure whether he really fancied playing basketball for a living or not.

They'd had this dream at thirteen, River, Kishan and himself, that they'd play basketball for the national team together.

They had a lot of plans that involved all three of them. Jonathan wasn't so sure he wanted to be one of the three musketeers forever.

Jonathan wanted more out of life.

More than just playing ball for the rest of it.

"They're ready for ya, mate," came the owner's voice, smiling down at the seventeen year old boy.

He was turning eighteen in exactly a week, on the 4th of December, and he wasn't exactly legal enough to get into this pub.

The owner had given him an exception, if he could play as well as Kishan gushed he could, then he was more than allowed to come just this once off before he was legal.

Kishan was lucky, he may not have been the 'talent' for the night, but it was his birthday today.

River was luckier than both of them, his birthday being many months ago. He'd been attending this pub far longer than the other two.