07 | What's Hidden Within

Loving Edyth SwanChapter Seven

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter Seven

28/11/93

A strange feeling erupted in the pit of Jonathan Attwood's stomach. His hands became sweaty and his eyes blinked rapidly.

As he sat on the chair in that café, his mind raced with doubt.

He was never one for going on dates, that was more of River's expertise than himself but there was just something about Edyth Swan, that made Jonathan want to do things he'd never particularly enjoyed before.

He had forgotten all about the fail of his first date when he was fifteen when he organised tonight. He forgot how much of a coward he was.

He had left before the girl had even shown up because he was so mortified. Jonathan was never one to stick through anything besides basketball.

He often started things but never finished them. He had a fear of many things and failing was definitely one of them.

Girls, on the other hand, was the other biggest fear he had.

He could do friends, but a date seemed far too out of his comfort zone. As Jonathan watched the clock, he contemplated leaving and just giving up.

There was no way a girl as pretty as her would be thinking of their hangout as a date anyway. He nervously fidgeted with his hands as his right leg began shaking.

The clock was turning slowly and yet, Edyth was five minutes late and it was giving Jonathan immense anxiety about the whole situation.

Jonathan was starting to piece the pieces together – he was a bit of a chicken and there was nothing Edyth Swan could've done to fix that.

The moment his mind was made up, he flew out of the chair and right out the door of the café. He couldn't get out of there fast enough. His heart was beating a little too fast and sweat was beginning to form on the creases of his forehead.

He knew as he walked down the street, towards the crossing lights, that he had just made a mistake.

A regret he would now add to a list that was steadily growing – of all the things Jonathan was far too scared to do or say.

"Jonathan?"

He swiftly span around, his green eyes bulging out of his sockets as they drifted upon the brunette standing in front of him. She was leaning down on her right, making her appear shorter than normal.

Her hair was half tied up, and softly blowing in the wind. Her brown eyes sparkled with this emotion akin to mischief, but Jonathan was sure it couldn't have been that.

There sat a smirk upon Edyth's soft, pink, lips.

Jonathan's cheeks flamed up instantly and he stepped back for a moment. He was surprised to see her, but his surprise quickly turned into guilt as he realised, she had noticed him walk away from the café.