09 | Birthday Wishes

Loving Edyth SwanChapter Nine

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter Nine

04/12/93

The long awaited day that told the world Jonathan Attwood was an adult – a mature, law-abiding citizen.

A man, if you would.

Today was his eighteenth birthday and he had planned the night all the way down to the fine print. He bad asked his mother if he could a throw a party tonight, and of course she had said yes because she knew she wasn't going to be home.

The boys had raved on about tonight for months.

They knew it was going to be the best.

It hadn't been Jonathan's idea in the beginning, but River had somehow convinced him that he only became a man once in his life – okay well, twice, if you're considering losing your virginity but River knew Jonathan wasn't getting laid anytime soon.

Jonathan had tried to keep that secret for as long as possible, but his best mate knew him better than most.

However, River had been right in many ways.

The party was a great idea.

A great distraction too.

The whole graduating class of '93 knew that despite their exams still in full force, tonight was a chance to relax and just have a good night.

Jonathan may have hated drunk teenagers but he sure as hell loved drunk Jonathan playing beer pong with the boys. The only upside to parties he found, was being surrounded by friends and definitely alcohol.

He couldn't forget the alcohol.

"I can't believe you're finally eighteen, the big One-Eight," River breathed, "Are you going to get your licence on Monday?"

"Yeah, I already booked it."

"Sweet," River smirked, "Going to drive me around now?" He asked as he wiggled his eyebrows.

Jonathan rolled his eyes, "Of course, what kind of friend am I if I don't?"

"Exactly."

River looked over at Kishan, raising his eyebrows, as if he were teasing their poor friend again.

Kishan sighed, "I'll be fine. I'll get my licence after we graduate."

"You mean if we all graduate," Jonathan chuckled, pointedly looking at River.

He knew Kishan had been doing River's homework and assignments since year seven.

Things hadn't really changed all that much over the years.

Jonathan didn't mind all that much either.

They may have all been on the basketball team, but Jonathan knew the brains in this trio would always be Kishan.