01 | Melbourne's Memories

Loving Edyth SwanChapter One

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter One

13/11/99

Quitting was something Jonathan Attwood knew all too well. He definitely was a quitter and a complete coward.

He was well aware of those facts about who he was and still, he decided for once in his life, to throw caution to the wind and do something he really wanted to do.

He had told the Squadron Leader he was finally taking his long awaited leave. The man only smiled sadly, choosing to say a few choice words to him in parting.

"Follow your heart, Jon. Do what's right for you, for once. You will be missed during your absence, Flight Lieutenant Attwood."

Jonathan knew that taking a leave of absence was perfectly allowed but he still felt like a complete quitter.

He knew as he packed his stuff up and got on that plane to finally fly home to Melbourne for the first time since leaving, that he was actually leaving behind another piece of himself.

The piece that felt a loyalty to the Royal Australian Air Force. He'd also felt a sense of belonging to them, even if he never returned.

His Squadron Leader was well aware that he may never come back and that would weigh heavily upon the both of them.

An asset to the RAAF was a big deal and Jonathan was hardly aware that he was even one of them until Lionel Peters had let it slip in a way only the both of them would understand.

It was almost unspoken that whatever Jonathan would find when arriving home, would determine the fate of his entire career and his life.

A lot of things were weighing on the state of Edyth Swan's life.

As soon as his flight had landed, Jonathan had taken a taxi to Rian William's address, feeling nerves erupt in the pit of his stomach.

He never knew he'd be back in this town but here he was.

He was mildly surprised with the differences of the streets and how much Melbourne had upgraded during his absence. As soon as his green eyes set themselves upon the massive house on Goldberg Lane, bile rose up in his pale, throat.

This was it.

His long, legs slowly walked up to the double, mahogany brown doors.

He had his duffel bag slung over his shoulder and he was dressed in camouflage pants and a plain, green singlet. He was wearing a green jacket unzipped on top, that held his achievements of the last five years on them.

A dog tag was hanging around his neck, that had his name etched into it. It felt oddly as if he was coming home from college and he almost didn't want to leave again.

Life looked scarier in the real world than the Royal Australian Air Force.

As his pale knuckles lightly knocked on the door, the door swung open instantly. He stepped back, feeling a little taken aback.