06 | Risky Behaviour

Loving Edyth SwanChapter Six

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter Six

28/11/93

"It's only been a day don't be an idiot and text her!"

River Reyes was currently chasing his best friend around his own home in an attempt to take the cellular device out of his hands.

He believed a day was far too early to text a woman and it should be at least seven. He believed that to keep 'em keen you had to keep 'em waiting.

Jonathan Attwood did not agree in the slightest.

"Did you see how she was looking at me? Did you even see her?" Came the retort from Jonathan as he continued running away.

He was sure River had seen Edyth Swan and how utterly gorgeous she was. She looked like the vision of innocence and Jonathan couldn't wait to see her again and hear the melodic sound of her voice.

River snorted, shaking his head as his hair fell out of the hair tie it had been held up by.

"Did you see her friend? My god that girl was hot. I'd love to get my hands on her and-"

Jonathan shoved him, "Don't talk about woman like that," he stated, scrunching his nose up.

"That's how you stay single," he added with a roll of his eyes.

River shook his head, "I get girls thank you very much. I love being single. You can't have a relationship anyway, I told you that. It's our year twelve-"

River hated to be interrupted and Jonathan had done it twice now. He was fuming. His once handsome face began contorting and turning red.

"And we must stay single. Think of the hot American babes waiting for us," Jonathan mimicked his best friend sarcastically in a high-pitched voice with another eye roll.

River huffed, feeling like he wanted to strangle his best friend for being a jerk to him.

"Anyway," River said, a little louder with a glare, "You don't actually like this girl, right?"

It was only deemed with a shrug in return. Jonathan didn't know but he sure knew he could see himself liking her, all he had to do was call her.

He had to be brave.

All it took was one button.

He just had to push it.

He was utterly terrified but there was just this air about Edyth that made him want to be brave.

He had no trouble talking to girls before, ones he knew he could never like and they were only supposed to be a bit of fun.

He had kissed a few girls in their year level and even some below them.

It seemed more of an achievement for River than himself.

He hardly liked to talk about that because he wanted something real and substantial.

Edyth Swan was real, and she made his heart do weird summersaults.

He had to have her before someone else swept her up in their arms.

With that thought in mind, Jonathan clicked her contact name and hit the phone button. He was determined to talk to her.

Now that it was ringing, he felt nervous and like he had just made a big mistake.

River groaned from behind him before throwing himself onto his black, leather couch. He laid back, arms behind his head, shaking it in answer to Jonathan's actions.

"Big mistake, buddy. You'll regret it."

Jonathan didn't have time to reply before Edyth's voice travelled through the phone and into the air.

"Hello? Who's this?"

The blonde haired boy licked his lips before speaking up, "Uh, hey, it's Jonathan."

He rubbed the back of his neck in an old nervous habit of his as he waited for her to reply.

"Hey," she answered with surprise, but her voice sounded as if she was wearing a smile on her pretty, pink lips.

Oh how much Jonathan thought about kissing her lips after last night.

"Do you, uh, wanna go out sometime?" Jonathan asked as his palms began to get sweaty and sweat formed on his temple.

He had never been this nervous before. She was doing weird things to his heart and he was sure he was loving every minute of it.

"Sure," Edyth replied through the phone in a cheery tone.

"How about tonight?" She asked, and all Jonathan could hear was giggling in the background.

He was sure that another girl was on the other side of the phone laughing at him. He felt his cheeks flame up and he had to remind himself that they were only talking through the phone.

"That um sounds good," he commented quickly and he wondered if it was too quickly before River shot him a glare.

"You're supposed to make the girl wait," he groaned, head in hands, feeling as if he hadn't taught Jonathan how to act around women at all.

Jonathan only shushed him, "How about that café in the city?" He asked, hoping Edyth was okay with that.

He'd happily take the train just to see her.

Edyth Swan was worth every second on that dreaded public transport.

"I'll see you there at seven," Edyth answered before hanging up the phone.

Green eyes widened as they flicked over to the clock that read 5:23.

"Shit, shit," Jonathan screamed, running back and forth, trying to work out what he was going to do.

He felt like a complete idiot. He wasn't even dressed appropriately for a date.

It dawned on him at that moment that he had never specified if it was an actual date or not.

"Fuck!"

"Calm down," River said with a laugh, "Before my mother washes both our mouths out with soap. Come on I'll drive you to yours and then I'll take you there. I so can't wait for you to get your licence next week."

Jonathan shot his best mate a thankful and relieved smile.

River Reyes really was a good friend despite being an asshole to him at times. He always meant well, even if he never articulated his words very nicely.

"Cheers!"