03 | The Painful Truth

Loving Edyth SwanChapter Three

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter Three

13/11/99

Jonathan Attwood hated to see Edyth Swan so helpless and bedridden. She'd also expressed the same interest as Jonathan, to never end up in a hospital bed, but that's exactly where she was.

In those very same ugly, white bedsheets and cotton blanket. She wore that ridiculously stuffy blue and white hospital gown that she expressed a desire to burn at one stage.

The very same night they were waiting in this hospital for the news of her aunty.

The lovely woman didn't make it which tore Edyth up for weeks and pushed the two further apart than ever before.

"Jonathan," a woman breathed out in shock.

"Jonathan Attwood is that you?" The lady asked, looking shell-shocked.

Jonathan turned to see a woman sitting on the chair beside her bed. She was tall and as beautiful as Jonathan remembered her to be. She had short, straight, brown hair and hazel eyes that showed signs of aging.

There was a small smile on her face, hoping evident as day.

"Yes," Jonathan answered, feeling nervous.

He hadn't seen Madelyn Swan since the week before he'd broken her only daughter's heart. He was starting to feel very confused about the scene that had folded in front of him only moments before.

Corey, who Jonathan knew to be Madelyn's husband, had held hands with a significantly younger woman. Albeit both women were beautiful, but Madelyn always had this home vibe about her.

She was warm, compassionate and kind. She was also the best cook Jonathan had ever met. She had this motherly air about her that Ellis would always lack.

Jonathan was surprised himself as he realised he couldn't locate a ring on Madelyn's finger.

She never used to take her wedding ring off, but he wondered if perhaps that had something to do with Corey, seemingly, remarrying.

Ellis and Corey were both wearing rings on their wedding fingers.

"Oh," Madelyn said, looking down at her hands as she noticed Jonathan's gaze.

Her hands were skinny and frail, as if age had been less kind to her.

She shuffled awkwardly as she stood up.

"Corey and I got a divorce about a year or so after Edyth's accident," she supplied, quietly.

"We were never very happy, were we?" She asked, more herself, than Jonathan.

Frown lines appeared on her forehead as she looked back at the man her daughter would probably never get to see again.

Jonathan had no words for the things Madelyn was saying. He never expected Edyth's parents to get a divorce and if she were here to see it, she'd be very angry he was sure of it.