02 | Hospital Ghosts

Loving Edyth SwanChapter Two

Loving Edyth Swan
Chapter Two

13/11/99

Nerves skyrocketed in the pit of Jonathan Attwood's stomach as he gingerly approached the big, white building.

Hospitals had always given him the creeps.

There were so many sick people laying in beds, catching bed sores, that it made shivers run down his spine. He never wanted to grow old and end up in the hospital.

He had been hoping when he joined the Air Force that his death would be quick and painful, long before he ever began to sprout grey hairs.

He figured the harder he worked, the more dangerous the missions would become, and they did, and he still miraculously lived through every one of them without so much as a scar.

'If I could live despite the constant bullets hurling at me on the daily, how come Edyth can't survive a damn car accident?' He thought to himself bitterly as he approached the front desk.

Life seemed ridiculously unfair to him at this point.

He was someone begging for death and yet it never called back to him.

On the other hand there was Edyth, who was full of so much life and love the day he'd left her, now lying in one of those ugly, white beds.

He felt like Death was taunting him, reminding him that it was going to take whoever the hell He wanted and no matter how hard he fought back, he was going to lose.

Death seemed to be teasing him, taking people he cared for one by one, to show that nobody in the world got the choice but Death itself.

He'd lost a few people before he'd joined the Air Force and maybe that had been one of the deciding factors for him when he had chosen to pack his whole life up and leave without a trace.

He'd been hoping he hadn't left a single memory behind but the more he walked closer to that stupid desk, with that ridiculously happy teenager monitoring it, he realised that people still remembered him.

Rian Williams was one of them, for sure.

Jonathan believed he'd been long forgotten the moment he stepped on that plane at nineteen, but fate had other plans for this pessimist.

"Hi, how may I help you?"

Jonathan went to open his mouth, only to realise that she was talking to someone on the phone. He scowled, feeling as if the girl was being entirely rude for no reason.

"Hi yeah," he started, waving his hand in her face.

"I'm looking for," he started before trailing off.

With a roll of his eyes, he realised that he wasn't going to catch any attention doing that.

He thought for a moment before he gestured at his dog tag and the uniform he was sporting.