Chapter Two

I kissed my father goodbye and met Nash out in the hallway. "Thank you."

"Have you eaten anything?"

"Uhm." I tapped my chin thoughtfully. "Does jello count?"

"Jello shots?"

"Perhaps."

"That does not count as food."

I laughed and followed him to the hospital cafeteria.

"Sit." He ordered. I opened my mouth to argue. "Woman, I will breathalyze you and throw you in jail for driving under the influence."

"I'm fine now." I rolled my eyes.

"Be that as it may, I'm sure I could find some other reason to arrest you. There was the assault thing earlier. Go sit."

I rolled my eyes and sat down. He'd better not get me ketchup with whatever he brought back. I rested my chin on the table. It was late and I was exhausted. I really shouldn't be eating this late. I should be sleeping.

Nash came back down and sat a rather delicious smelling chicken sandwich down in front of me. "And if you're really good, eat all your veggies, you can even have dessert." He teased.

"Veggies?"

"Well...there is lettuce on there." He shrugged.

I chuckled and we ate in silence for a few minutes. Nash seemed to be in good spirits.

"Thank you. For bringing me here I mean."

"You can always call me for help Kate."

"Of course there is a price." I raised an eyebrow and set my sandwich down. "And I'm going to hold my end of the bargain up."

"No you aren't." He said casually pulling a tomato from his sandwich.

"I'm not?"

"I mean, if you really want to sure. But I'm not making any deals with you. Not tonight."

"Alright, I'm confused." I admitted.

"Kate, what kind of guy do you think I am?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

He laughed. "Think that poorly of me huh?" I really didn't. "Well I'm not the kind of guy who is looking to take advantage of someone when they're in a weak or tough spot."

"I'm fine now. I know he's okay. I'm so angry with Alessio! It's like he doesn't even give a damn. I want this to stop."

"Exactly. You're angry at him. You feel like he doesn't care and hurting about that. I don't want you to agree to take Alessio down just because of the way you're feeling. Tomorrow when you're in love again and have a wire attached to your chest are you going to feel the same way?" I didn't answer. "Exactly."

"But it's his fault my father was shot, and Nicolo-"

"Kate. Stop. This is not the kind of decision you make based just on your feelings."

"Isn't that why you are?" I shot back.

"This is probably a long and dangerous job. I've been doing it for nearly two years and we are just now about ready to take action. Now I'm certainly not going to ask that big of a commitment from you. I might ask you to wear a wire, and when the time comes to testify in court, to keep me informed the best you can. I will not sign you up for this sort of thing when you're not in a perfect stable mindset."