Chapter Fourteen

I put my hands on my head and paced back and forth in the bathroom until Nash followed me in. I stopped in my tracks and threw my hands out. "What the fȕck are you doing here?" I demanded and stormed past him to the door and locked it before turning back to him with hands on my hips and a smoldering glare.

"You told me bathroom!"

"Not here here, here." I pointed to the ground firmly.

"I don't follow."

I rolled my eyes. "In the restaurant Nash. You swore you wouldn't come in."

"I was worried about you."

"You swore on everything!"

"What the hell was I supposed to do? Wait outside and twiddle my thumbs until I heard a bang? Go home and wait to see your death on the news? You've known from the beginning that your safety trumps the investigation. I wasn't going to just wait for you to get hurt!

"I'm fine, now you need to leave." I took several steps to meet him in the middle of the bathroom.

"Kate-"

"Nash right now I just can't. Okay. We can talk about this later but right now you need to get out."

He frowned.

"I'm serious! Alessio owns this restaurant. Need I remind you who you are and who you work for? No one I'm sure he would willingly serve. You need to leave."

"Just say the word."

"I am saying it now! Leave!"

"Forget."

"I'm not in danger. There's no reason to say it." I said and slowly lowered my eyes to his side. His coat covered his gun but I knew it was there.

He looked exasperated for a moment. "Katie-"

"Nash, please. I can't, not right now. I can't do this."

"I wasn't trying to trick you."

I frowned deeply. "Fine. Stay, but you're going to get yourself killed hanging around here." I started towards the door but then stopped. Damn it all to hell, I didn't want Nash to get killed, I couldn't leave him here and pretend I did. I spun around to face him again. "Damn it Nash! Please, just go."

"Just promise me you know that. I wouldn't Kate. I wouldn't try to trick you."

"You mean like you're tricking the hundreds of men you're working with in the mafia?"

He frowned. "That's different and you know it. That's for the greater good."

"How do I know that you don't think tricking me is for the greater good too then? Huh? How do I know you aren't thinking oh if she does get killed as long as I can pin it to Alessio and get him thrown in jail it was for the greater good. How am I supposed to trust anything you say? How do I know you weren't trying to trick me just to catch Alessio and rationalizing that it would be okay because it's for the greater good. I look like a fucking idiot now! All that shit that I accused him of!" I threw my hands into the air exasperated and let them drop dramatically back to my side.

"Look at me! Look at me and tell me that you honestly believe I would do that to you? For fȕcks sake I introduced you to my daughter!"

"And how am I supposed to know this isn't some clever ploy to win me over? For all I know she might not even be your daughter. I'm certain it wouldn't be your first lie!"

His face straighten, clearly annoyed. "Really Kate?"

I threw my hands up again with nothing else to say.