Chapter Twenty-Five

Nash was hurt.

Did I believe this? They said he was hurt and my first instinct was of course oh God no.

Second instinct came in and reminded me who these men were. They could be lying. Doing anything to get me to stop fighting. And it worked. They could be lying.

On the other hand, they could be telling the truth. Nash could be injured, and the terrifying thought? What if they were the ones who injured him? What if they knew?

I swallowed hard. I would be lying if I said I wasn't freaking out. This situation could be going in a lot of different ways, none of which were looking favorable.

I didn't fight the rest of the car ride but they knew better than to relax around me either so my arms remained pulled awkwardly behind my back and my face into the seat. When the car came to a stop he pulled me upright still holding my wrists.

They dragged me out of the car and into a warehouse and I didn't fight them as we did so.

The room was dark, one single light rocked back and forth from the ceiling shining a small spot light as it swayed. When the light hit Nash I caught a glimpse of the situation. He was laying on a table in the middle of the room, blood soaked his shirt and the table below him, even on the floor. His lips were moving but I could hear no noise, before him stood an older looking man who wore blue rubber gloves and looked deep in thought as he poured alcohol all over a rag.

"You're shot." I accused loudly.

My arms were released. "He won't talk to anyone." The man who had led me in muttered. "He was asking for you, but he won't talk to anyone."

I ran to his side without hesitation. "Matteo."

His eyes were squeezed shut and his lips were still going. I leaned forward and angled my ear closer to him to hear what he was saying. "The great mercy. Glory be to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost."

"Matteo."

"Our help is in the Name of the Lord who made heaven and Earth. O Lord, hear my prayer."

"Stop it. Stop it now."

The man before him pressed the alcohol soaked rag hard to Nash's chest. Nash's body arched up and away from the table. Through gritted teeth he groaned and began speaking louder and quicker. "Let my cry come to thee, the Lord be with you and with the spirit. Pray. Hear us Holy Lord, almighty Father, eternal God."

I pushed the hair away from his sweaty forward. "Stop it Matteo. Look at me, just look at me."

"Be pleased to send thy hold angel from heaven to guard, cherish, protect, visit and defend all that dwell in this house. Through Christ our Lord." He continued on with closed eyes. "Amen."

I closed my eyes and the room seemed quiet for a moment. I opened my eyes and waited for Nash to look at me now that he was finished.

"I confess to Almighty God." He started again. "To all the Saints and to you Father that I have sinned exceedingly. In thought word and deed. Through my fault through my most grievous fault. I beseech."

I pressed my lips to his ear. "Nash." I whispered with my hand still on his forehead.

His body stilled and his breath hitched. I lifted my head to see him staring at me, he looked deranged for a few moments and I was terrified but his eyes finally focused on me. "Kate."