Chapter Forty-Nine

I came home holding my shoes in hand, one broken, in a blood stained dress, soaking wet, and the rain and the struggle had done a number to both my hair and my makeup, worst of all? Alessio wasn't even home and I wanted him something fierce.

I wasn't used to this. To feeling like I needed someone to hold me and fix everything but I was drained and confused and I wanted my boyfriend.

I sat on the couch for a few minutes silently stewing before picking up the house phone. I called Alessio first and it went to voicemail. I glanced to the time, after three in the morning. I sighed heavily and called Pietro.

He answered on the first ring with a groggy voice. "Cioa pasticcino."

(hello cupcake)

I didn't know what to say. So I said the lamest thing that came to mind. "I'm home."

He was quiet for a few moments before sighing. "I can't protect you if you aren't honest with me Kate. Where the hell were you and what happened?"

I looked down and let the night wash over me. Rob choking me, Rob dead on top of me, Nash. "I need Alessio." I croaked. "He's not home and I need him."

"Alright, calm down. I'll be there in-"

"N-no, Stacey, I mean-"

"Kate. I will be there in a few minutes. Don't move, and I mean that this time."

For whatever reason, I didn't. Not even to take off the dress, to dry off, I didn't move to put on a pair of shoes I just sat on the couch with no sound other than the ticking of several nearby clocks until Pietro pulled in.

He came through the door in sweatpants and just a jacket, no shirt. When he saw me he cursed and ushered me over to him. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I asked even though I followed him regardless of destination.

"To Alessio."

"What about Stacey-"

He shrugged and put his jacket around me. "She'll be fine. She's asleep. If we're lucky Alessio will be able to leave work to take you home and I can head back to her place. She'll never even know I left."

"What if we aren't lucky?"

He smiled slightly but didn't answer as he opened the car door for me. I climbed in the car and pulled his jacket closer around me.

"Is he going to yell at me?"

"Oh my God yes." Pietro replied without missing a beat.

Well that sure made me feel better.

"You're alright though, right?"

"I...I think so." My head was spinning in so many directions, I think I might have been a little traumatized, in shock perhaps even.

"That's the most important thing. That's what he cares about most. You know that, don't you Kate?" I did know that actually. I nodded rather weakly. "He's going to give you hell, but take it easy on him."

I sighed heavily and looked out the window. We drove silently for a few minutes before arriving at a floral shop. I looked back to Pietro with an odd expression.