Oliver Reed for Governor

[(photo of Lucille Johnson)]

Lucille was extremely nervous as she waited for her name to be called. Of all the people being interviewed for the position, she was the only black woman. She could already tell her coming here was a waste of time.

The large wooden door swung open to the conference room. The woman doing the interviews came into view, looking down at her clipboard.

"Lucille Johnson", she called out.

Lucille exhaled before standing up. "That's me."

They walked into the conference room and sat at the table to start the interview.

"My name is Theresa and I'm Mr. Reed's office manager. Why don't you start off by telling me a little bit about yourself."

"My name is Lucille Johnson. I'm 26 years old and I'm from Houston, Texas. I graduated from the Manship School of Louisiana State University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Mass Communication with a concentration in Political Communication. I worked at the Lonestar Press for 3 years as a journalist but decided that it wasn't the career path I wanted to follow."

"So my next question for you Lucille is, 'Why do you think you would be a good fit for this campaign?'"

"Well as you can see in my resume, I've volunteered for many different types of political campaigns since my freshman year of college. I know how to function in this type of environment and I know that sometimes the hours aren't exactly flexible and I'm okay with that. I also feel that my experience in the news business would serve as an advantage for Mr. Reed."

Twenty minutes later and the interview was over. Theresa informed Lucille that she should show up tomorrow at noon for a second interview.

*      *

"Let it be known that it is a privilege.. No an honor. It is an honor that you have been chosen to be a part of this campaign. For the next 10 months, it is your job to do everything that you can to ensure that Oliver Reed is the next governor of the beautiful state of Texas."

Speaking now was Rebecca Mitchell, campaign manager of the Oliver Reed campaign.

Everyone sitting in the large conference room started chit-chatting about how excited they were. All of the twenty-somethings who were lucky enough to have this honor bestowed upon them were psyched to be working on a real political campaign.

15 of the many who applied were chosen to work the campaign. Lucille would be working as part of the communications team writing speeches, press releases, etc.

"The hours of operation for the campaign headquarters are 8 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday and 10AM-5PM on Saturdays. From here you need to meet with your coordinators. If you will be working as a part of the field staff you will meet with Joseph Arnold in the ballroom, if you're on the communications team meet with Jancy Gipson in the briefing room, and if you're working the phone banks stay in here with me."

"This is gonna be awesome", Amber said excitedly. She and Lucille had become acquaintances throughout orientation.

"Yeah it will be", she answered. "We'll meet up for that lunch soon but I have to go. I'm with the communications team."

Lucille walked around her new friend and towards the exit. It'd been a long day and her feet were screaming in the heels she wore. The sooner she met with her director the sooner she could get home.