The Truth Will Set You Free

Lucille pulled up to her grandma's house and was on high alert when she spotted the suspicious vehicle parked near the driveway. It was a black Lexus sedan. Maybe it was Aaron's?

She truly wasn't prepared for any more trouble like what transpired earlier that month. She entered the house hesitantly. She heard muffled voices coming from the dining area.

When she swung the door open, the room fell silent. Nanna Sarah was standing there with a middle aged woman. When their eyes met, Lucille's heart nearly stopped.

"Mom, wh-why are you h-here?", she asked, slurring her speech.

Lauren Johnson, Lucille's estranged mother stood only feet away from her. She had barely changed at all.

"I heard about everything that happened to you and your grandmother and I just came to check on you."

"To check on me?", Lucille questioned in disbelief. "You haven't tried to reach out to me in over 15 years but now you're here to check on me?"

"Lucille just sit down and let me explain", she said, "please."

"No, you don't deserve my time."

"Lucille, I didn't know what he did to you", she said blatantly. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I felt a rush of emotions take over me. "You were my mother, you should have known something was off. You were too trusting of the men you brought around but you should've known what your own husband was doing to me."

Lauren broke down into tears. "Lucille you have to believe me. As soon as I figured out what happened I divorced him. And after that, trust that he was taken care of."

"Even if you did 'take care of him' how do you explain not coming back for me?"

"Lucille I tried."

"Maybe you should've tried harder then."

Nanna Sarah interjected. "Lucille, listen to her. This is my fault, too."

Lucille was confused. "What do you mean? What's your fault?"

Her grandma went into her cupboard and pulled out a box with a lock attached to it. When she unlocked the box she passed it to Lucille.

Lucille took a seat at the dining room table before opening the box. When she did, she pulled out a thick stack of envelopes. They were all addressed to her.

"Nanna", tears welled in her eyes. "How could you do this to me?"

"I was trying to protect you. Your mother was unfit to raise you and I would not let her hurt you anymore than she already had. I wish I could turn back the hand of time because I realize how badly I hurt your relationship."

Lucille closed the box and rushed out of the house. She got into her car and drove off immediately. Her vision was blurred by tears falling uncontrollably. She was both furious and sad, a dangerous combination. Her foot pressed harder and harder on the gas, increasing the speed of her car.

Lucille drove her car near the forest off of the highway and parked along the intersection. Her tears had dried up. She refused to let her mother or Nanna Sarah for that matter have any power over her life. She was having a good day and they weren't going to change that.

She grabbed the box of letters and walked the man-made path toward the ravine.

"To the end of a chapter and the start of a new one."