The Syndicate

Oliver stood on the balcony overlooking the ballroom. He watched as Lucille gave her brother a tour of the campaign headquarters. He just kept thinking to himself: "What am I going to do?"

The worst part about it is that he couldn't even let Lucille know that this person she was standing mere inches away from was not her brother but a ruffian, a hired gun.

The entire Marcotte clan has been in the business of eliminating what they, or their clients, deem to be preeminent threats. James Reed was in neck deep with the Marcottes. Their ties go back to the years he served as governor. If ever a state official, like a legislator or congressman, needed some extra convincing to support tax cuts, or whatever James Reed wanted to pass, the Marcottes would take care of it.

When he remembered the involvement between James Reed and the Marcottes he knew he had to pay his father a visit. He needed to know what him being elected as governor had to do with the Marcottes.

-------------------------------------

Oliver barely let the car stop before jumping out at the country club. He was going to confront his father and he didn't care who was around.

He walked into the dining area and spotted him sitting at the bar chatting up some woman. Typical. Oliver shook his head in disgust as he darted over.

"You need to tell me what the fuck is going on", Oliver said as he approached him.

James Reed chuckled at his son. He sent a nod in the woman's direction signaling her to give them space. She gave Oliver a curious glance before scurrying away.

"I wondered when you'd show up, son", he said calmly. "Sit down and have a drink with your old man."

"I'm not sitting down or having a drink with you, you son of a bitch," Oliver said raising his voice, trying not to lash out in public. "Tell me what's going on."

"Either you sit down or I have a bullet put in your girlfriend's head."

Oliver's heart dropped. In that moment, this all became real. James Reed wasn't just associating with the most dangerous family in Texas but he was acting like one of them.

Oliver took the seat next to his father that was formerly occupied by James' female friend.

"Don't you ever belly up to me like that again or you'll regret it," James said venomously. "Now it's about time for you to know what's going to happen when you're elected and in the coming years."

Oliver took a deep breath. He flagged down the bartender.

"Two whiskeys", he ordered.

The bartender returned with the two glasses, placing one in front of Oliver and one in front of James. Oliver slid them both closer to him. He knew he'd need more than one to get through this conversation.

"Son why do you think you're so far ahead in the polls right now?", James questioned. "And don't say because of the campaign you've run because Thatcher Hayes' campaign is by far the best I've seen in years."

Oliver shook his head. "I don't know but I'm sure you'll tell me."

James turned to his son. "I think it's about time you meet your benefactors."

James Reed got up from his seat, gesturing for Oliver to follow. Oliver downed the two drinks he ordered before getting up.

The ride to the undisclosed location was daunting. James pulled onto a long gravel road. Oliver could hear the gravel rocks popping under the car and it made him cringe.