Mixed Signals

After Oliver stormed out of the conference room, Lucille was left to explain things to Shane. She didn't know much about Anne Katherine's motives so there wasn't much to discuss.

"Well", Shane began. "This is definitely something."

Lucille nodded.

"I would've never seen this coming. What do you think of this?", he asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. "We make it work", she answered. "Anne Katherine could make or break this campaign. If she wants a divorce, he'll have to give her one."

"We can spin it in his favor after he gets elected", Shane said. "Wait about a year. Maybe 16 months after election. We say they drifted apart-"

"We can't say they drifted apart", Lucille interrupted. "That makes it sound like he can't handle running the state and making time for his wife. We say the two have realized they don't love one another as lovers but as friends. Something like that."

Shane nodded. "It could work."

Lucille backed away from the table. "I'm going to see if I can reach out to Anne Katherine. Set up a meeting or something."

Shane was eyeing her up and down as she stood. She saw him looking at her but she didn't realize he was checking her out.

"I know I might be dressed very inappropriately right now but I wasn't planning on coming in today. I do apologize."

"It's no problem", Shane said as he stood up also. "I don't mind at all."

Lucille smiled and nodded. "It was nice meeting you."

"Likewise", he said. Shane watched her closely as she walked out of he conference room. He knew in due time, he would have no choice but to ask her out.

Lucille walked down the hallway to Oliver's office. She really hoped he was inside.

One reason being because she needed to talk to him about what just happened. The second reason being, he was her ride home.

She turned the knob on the door and poked her head inside.

"Can I come in?", she asked him.

"Since when do you ask?", he joked.

Lucille smiled as she entered.

"I just wanted to check on you. You left pretty fast back there. You're upset."

"I'm not upset", he confessed. I mean I think I should be upset but I'm not at all."

"Do you want to divorce her?", Lucille asked.

Oliver grinned. "Hell yeah."

"I'll meet with her tomorrow and talk about the timeline of how things will go and-"

"No. No I'll do it", Oliver answered. "I'll do it now", he said standing up.

Lucille didn't have time to suggest against it. His mind was made up so she let him go.

"Antonio will take you back to the hotel", he said. "I'll let you know how it goes."

Lucille smiled and nodded. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

He waved goodbye as he exited his office. Lucille was nervous. She didn't understand what this meant for them. Did she even want to? She couldn't help but think maybe she should've kept her mouth shut about the divorce.