Lucille Hates Surprises

Oliver's big victory overshadowed the death of Lucille's "brother." The media wasn't too interested in the story. At least not so much as the members of the syndicate were. After all, he essentially was one of them. They couldn't quite prove that Lucille had killed him. In fact, they doubted that she was capable of it. This was good for her though.

In less than two months, Oliver would be moving into the governor's mansion with his family. He'd have an entire cabinet of people he hand picked. Lucille wasn't sure if she wanted to be a part of that.

It was time to re-sign the lease to her apartment for another year and she sat staring at the papers as if they'd sign themselves. She knew that wouldn't happen, but she couldn't bring herself to do it either. Did she wanna be tied down to this apartment for another year? Tied down to this town?

If this wasn't enough to cause stress, it was Lucille's least favorite day of the year. And she couldn't wait for it to be over.

Over at the campaign headquarters, things had slowed down a great bit. All the volunteers were gone. The ballroom was once again just a ballroom. It was a ghost town.

"Lucille, you made it", Oliver said approaching her. He pulled her into a hug. She embraced him.

"Can you come up to my office? I have something for you", he said with a smile set on his face.

Lucille nodded, unsure of what to expect. She followed him to the elevator. When the doors shut he held onto her hand. Lucille's face heated up a bit at the interaction.

The doors opened and he led her down the hall. When they reached his door, he urged her to shut her eyes. He led her over and stopped right in front of his desk. He stepped aside.

"Open them now", he said.

Lucille gasped slightly. "How did you know?"

"I've gone through your file countless times, of course I'd know your birthday."

She turned and hugged him so tightly she thought she'd squeeze the life out of him. "Thank you, Oliver."

He chuckled a bit, out of shock. "It's no problem, it's just a cake. This isn't even the big gift."

Lucille brought his head down and kissed his lips. She hadn't celebrated her birthday in years. Nanna Sarah tried for a few years but each year Lucille would get more and more pissed so she stopped.

Tears started to fall from her eyes and onto Oliver's cheeks making him open his eyes.

"Lucille what's wrong? Are you okay?"

She nodded at first but then shook her head. "I don't know."

He took her head and led her over to the sofa in his office. They sat.

"I'm thinking about leaving town," she admitted.

"To move to Austin right?" he asked, alluding to the location of the Governor's mansion.

She used the palms of her hands to wipe away tears. "I mean I think I'm leaving Texas."

The grin on Oliver's face transformed to a frown. "What do you mean?"

"I need room to grow and I don't think I can do that here. There are so many opportunities out there and I wanna take advantage of them."

"How soon will you be leaving?", he asked.

She bit her lip. "I'll be putting in a few job applications tonight. As soon as I have a job secured I'm leaving."

Oliver ran his fingers through his hair before getting up to walk over to Lucille.

"I'll support you no matter what. If you need a letter of recommendation, or anything I'm here."

She hugged him. "I can't even tell you how much this means to me."

"How about we cut into this cake", he said lightening the mood.

Lucille chuckled and obliged.

—————————

After they finished eating cake, they relaxed on Oliver's sofa, shoes off and all. They talked for about an hour. Lucille expressed how excited she was for new doors to be opening up.

Oliver was happy for her but he knew once it actually sunk in that she was leaving the state, he would be distraught.

He watched her light up as she was telling him another story about her sorority life in undergrad. He took this opportunity to lean over and kiss her lips. She kissed back, smiling against his lips.

"What was that for?", she asked once they separated.

"Just because", he answered. "Will you spend the night with me tonight?"

"Of course", she said kissing his lips. "Maybe we should just stay at my place, instead of going to the hotel?"

"I'd really like that."

"Perfect", she replied. She got up, gathering her things. "I have to stop by my grandmother's house. She and Aaron always 'surprise' me with this birthday party thing at her house. It's lame but I always look forward to it."

Her grandma had only recently been released from the hospital but she knew better than anyone else that wasn't going to stop her. They hugged for a moment and Lucille took her leave.

Lucille was certain that the only surprise would be whether or not Aaron actually showed up this year. She figured he would though since they had talked things over.

But she wasn't expecting the surprise that was waiting for her once she got to Nanna Sarah's home.