Invisible

Bucky was sixteen and he had the ability to become invisible. His parents had died when he was six and his foster father was evil. He picked up a watch and dropped it into his bag, he'd learned a long time ago how to turn other objects invisible. He goes to leave when someone shouts at him. He whips around to see a taller blonde standing there looking at him. At him! He looks behind him but see no one. Everyone was staring at the blonde weird now. He turns and runs. No one had ever been able to see him before! Why now? He's tackled by the taller blonde and the watch falls from his bag and down the drain. He's breathless and becomes visible, luckily no one was around. He tries to squirm but the blonde was huge!

"Get off!" He wheezes.

"Promise you won't run?" The blonde asks.

"Fine! Fine! Just get off, I can't breathe!" He squeaks. The blonde gets off but doesn't let go.

"Why were you stealing?" The blonde asks. Bucky scowls at him.

"How could you see me?" Bucky questions. "No one can see me like that."

"What do you mean?" The blonde asks. Bucky turns invisible again hoping it's a fluke. "What do you mean?" The blonde repeats. An old lady walking past looks at the blonde strangely. Bucky turns back.

"I'm Bucky. I'm sixteen and I can turn invisible." He sighs, holding out a hand.

"Steve Rogers. Seventeen. Can't turn invisible." Steve replies. "Why were you stealing?" He asks. Bucky sighs and drags his hand through his hair. Steve had let go of his other wrist thankfully.

"It's hard to explain." He sighs. Steve folds his muscular arms over his chest.

"Try me."

"Well... I don't know... I have a bad life, kay?" He answers and Steve raises an eyebrow.

"What would be bad enough to make you steal?" Steve asks frowning. Bucky swallows.

"Do you trust me?" He looks Steve in the eyes.

"I don't see why not." Steve shrugs. Bucky grabs his hand and runs. He runs home then holds his hand tighter.

"He wont be able to see you so don't say anything." He says before shoving the door open. "I'm home uncle Zola." Bucky calls into the house and a piggy looking man appears in the doorway that leads to the kitchen.

"Did you bring anything home?'" Zola asks, Bucky shakes his head.

"No luck." He sighs, Zola tsks.

"Alexander will be very displeased." He says shaking his head. "Go to your room and don't come out until I call you down."

Bucky walks down a set of stairs, dragging Steve along.

"You sleep here?" Steve whispers in horror. Bucky nods, looking around the tiny box of a room. He grabs a bag from beneath the mattress and shoves open the window.

"I'm leaving. The watch was so I could get some cash for a bus ticket." Bucky explains dragging him along. Steve stops.

"You need to take this to the police." Steve says as they walk.

"So I can what? Become a science experiment when I freak out and turn invisible while they interrogate me?" He snaps and Steve looks down.

  "Well you can't let it continue." Steve huffs. Bucky rolls his eyes.

  "They aren't allowed to adopt more children. The only reason they still had us was 'cause Alex had really good lawyers." Bucky explains. Steve frowns.

"Us?" He asks.

  "Oh yeah. Nat. She left a few weeks ago. Ran away. She promised to come back though. That's why I'm leaving now. She sent me her address so I'm going there." He explains. Steve nods.

"Oh."

  "You should still tell the police." Steve says. Bucky stops and glares at him. Then someone walks into his shoulder and looks around confused. Bucky scowls then let's Steve go.

  "If I do then they drag me into this huge investigation." Bucky sighs. Steve thinks for a moment.

  "Leave an anonymous tip." Steve suggests. Bucky gives in and that's what they do.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Police arrested Zola and Pierce a few weeks after Bucky left the anonymous tip. Bucky stayed with Natasha who was older than him by two years. The apartment was small but it was a home. Bucky and Steve became close friends and as they got older it budded into a relationship. Bucky's ability to become invisible got him noticed by a special company that was called S.H.I.E.L.D. And they dealt with different sorts of situations that the police did not. Steve proposed to Bucky on their third anniversary. They bought a place together and adopted a girl. She was named Amelia and she adored her fathers, she was four when they adopted her. Natasha was her favorite auntie.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Bucky swings Amelia around happily and she giggles. Steve comes over and puts her on his shoulders. He kisses Bucky gently and Bucky blushes, turning invisible.

  "Where'd daddy go?" Amelia asks looking around. Bucky become visible again and she giggles. Steve smiles. He sets Amelia down and crouches to her height. Next thing Bucky knows Steve has slung him over his shoulder and is running towards the lake at the edge of their yard. He hits the water with a splash then tugs Steve down. Amelia stays on the shore laughing.

  "Both of you are so immature." Nat says from the shore, Amelia seated on her hip. Both men look up at her.

  "Need a hug?" Bucky hums. Holding his arms open and walking towards her. She walks away.

"Come on. We're making spaghetti." She calls, Amelia cheers. Bucky shoves Steve onto his butt then takes off. Steve gets up, even more wet now. He runs after Bucky and tackles him. Bucky squirms so he can look at him and Steve smiles.

"I love you." Steve smiles. Bucky kisses him.

"I love you too." He sighs. They get up and Nat takes one look at them then points to the bathroom.

  "Shower. Then change." She instructs. Bucky smiles and they head off. Seated at the table Bucky can't help but think about how lucky he is that Steve had been able to see him when no one else could.