Soulmates

@Childishbehaviour requested this. I hope you like it. <3

Steve Rogers walked into the cafe thankful to be out of the wind. He walks up to the front where a tall, lean brunette stood behind the counter. Steve's eyes were drawn the the knotted left sleeve that was tied at the end of the brunette's stump arm. Steve looks back up at the brunette who smiles.

"May I take your order?" He asks, smiling warmly.

"Uh yeah," Steve nods. "Can I get a scone and a latte?" He asks, looking up at him. The brunette nods smiling, Bucky, his name tag read. Steve pushes his glasses up further on his nose and waits for the brunette to return. His name was scrawled on the side of the cup and the brunette hands him the cup first and then the bag.

"Have a nice day." He smiles. Steve's eyes widen as he looks at the handwriting on the cup, he'd stared at it so many times he'd committed it to memory.

"Hi. I'm Steve. I believe you're my soulmate," he introduces himself, his tattoo of the first words Bucky had spoken to him scrawled across his bony wrist. Bucky's jaw falls slack slightly and he brushes his long hair from his face. He was blushing slightly and it was adorable. The brunette uses his teeth to pull down his right sleeve and shows Steve his tattoo.

"I'm sorry it's hard to read," the brunette whispers, looking down ashamed. The lady waiting for someone to take her order gasps softly. Criss crossing scars ran through the tattooed words.

"Did you do that?" Steve asks and Bucky shakes his head.

"My ex boyfriend. He told me I'd never find a soulmate that would love me," the brunette admits.

"How 'bout you take a break and I'll take over?" A redhead whose name tag read Natasha spoke. Bucky nods and follows Steve to a table in the corner.

"Your ex cut your wrists and purposefully tried to destroy your tattoo? Did you report him?" Steve asks, sitting across from the brunette who was really pale looking suddenly.

"I didn't. I was scared of what he'd do."

"Would you report him now?"

Bucky stares at the skinny blonde sitting across from him and nods. "I don't think anything will happen though. He's got good lawyers," he sighs.

   "You have evidence against him," Steve argues.

    "I've had evidence against him in the past."

   "What do you mean?" Steve asks frowning.

"Rumlow made a habit of taking my money and he was abusive," Bucky sighs, "I tried suing him before, I had the bruises and broken arm to prove it but Rumlow's a tricky bastard. My arm still isn't fully healed from it."

   "We'll do it. I've got a friend whose a lawyer and he's got an amazing talent at his job," Steve assures. Bucky reluctantly agrees and that's how they end up in Nelson and Murdock's law office.

   Bucky swallows and shuffles awkwardly as they talk to him, Murdock was blind but he got around terrifyingly well and seemed to know about Bucky's unease.

   "So you've tried to sue him before?" The man who'd introduced himself as Foggy, asks. Bucky nods, his throat feeling tight as he tries to force the words out.

   "I tried to sue him for theft and abuse," he murmurs. Foggy sighs while Murdock frowns.

   "So you're suing him for what this time?" Murdock asks.

   "Destruction of a soulmate tattoo," he whispers. Both men across from him freeze. Matt speaks up first.

  "Can I feel it?" He asks and Bucky hold out his arm shakily. Matt runs his thumb over Bucky's tattoo gently feeling the dip in his skin created by the scars. Foggy looked disgusted that someone could do that. Matt frowns more.

   "These are really in a bad place," Matt comments.

"I lost a lot of blood," he whispers. Matt nods sighing.

"I'll see what we can do," Matt assures. Bucky follows Steve out sighing and wanting to throw up. The case was hard but they hadn't expected it to be easy. They won and grew closer together during the whole ordeal.

~~~

Bucky sits across from Steve at a fancy restaurant. He brushes his hand against his husbands. It'd been four years since they'd met and managed to get Rumlow locked up. Bucky smiles adoringly and holds Steve's smaller hand.