Chapter 16

I stay back by Samantha to give Kevin a moment with Kacee.

It must have been very hard for him to be away from his baby girl for so long right after losing his mate. For him to leave her for the duty of his pack shows just how much we can trust him.

Slowly I walk up to the loving pair, "Kevin, it's nice to see you again."

Wiping a tear from his eye he looks up from Kacee. "Alpha Mia" he nods as a sign of respect. There is a ton of love in his eyes that even a blind person can see it.

A smile spreads across my face. "She missed you too. Would you like to come to my room while I gather her things?"

He nods and begins to follow me.

"I take it things have been good." I hate silence; therefore, I try to make small talk as we walk.

"As well as you could expect. Nothing too exciting happened."

Thankfully we make it to my room. As I open the door I turn to him, "sorry about the mess."

He waves his hand through the air. "No need to apologize. Any parent knows how messy babies are."

Things are still all over my floor from where Kacee plays along with empty bottles. I meant to clean up today but with her throwing a fit then my dad's meeting I never got the chance.

Looking up from the messy floor I notice Kevin standing in the doorway still. "Kevin, you can come in and take a seat. You don't have to stand there."

"Thank you." He walks over to my chair and takes a seat with Kacee still in his arms.

"I didn't expect you back this soon."

He looks up, sadness fills his eyes. "They decided that I was not emotionally stable and that I had more important things on my mind."

As I listen to him I can't help but think that they are right. He shouldn't be worried about protecting others. He should have all his focus on Kacee. I appreciate that he still finds the strength to protect so soon after his other half was taken from him.

Most people that have their mate taken from them aren't even able to continue. His strength to fight on shows me just how strong people can be if given something to fight for. In his case he is fighting for his daughter.

He smiles at me, "enough about me though. How has Kacee been for you?"

I look down at my PJs and motion to my hair. "As you can tell today was one of those days. She's starting to teeth, she was very fussy this morning. She woke up around 5 and wanted me to wake up also." I laugh as I look over at her.

Anyone can tell just how much she missed her dad. It took me hours to get her settled down this morning and only moments being in her father's arms to put her back to sleep.

"For the most part she was a perfect angel. Loves to crawl around and playing with her toys. She made me realize just how much I love kids."

"I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am that you took care of her Alpha." He begins to help me gather her toys from around the room.

I laugh, "I don't think I will ever get use to people calling me that."

We finish gathering her belongings and pack them in her bags. My room looks bare now without all of the baby toys and clothes everywhere.

I walk Kevin and Kacee out the front door and tell him that any time he needs anyone to watch Kacee to just call.

I'm really going to miss the little one. I didn't expect to get this attached to her like I did. As sad as I am about her leaving I'm happy that she's with her dad again. He has so much love for her. It's sad that she won't know her mother though. Kevin will probably keep her alive in memories.

'It's strangely quiet' I think as I walk back to my room.

Not even seconds after I think that a little girl about the age of two comes running up to me. She throws her arms up in the air motioning to be picked up.

Grabbing her around the waist I swing her around then throw her up in the air and catch her.

Giggles explode from her as she clings to me. Her cubby fingers grabbing my shirt in an attempt to hold on.

"Alpha Mia, I am so sorry." James reaches out to take the little toddler from me.

James must be looking after this little one. He is two years older than I am and lives here in the pack house while attending one of the local colleges.

I turn to him and smile, "James relax. This little cutie isn't hurting anything." Look down at the still smiling girl "would you like a snack?"

She nods and starts trying to climb down.

"If you give her a snack and put on a movie she will sit still and might even fall asleep."

I hand her over to James who thanks me and continues to the kitchen.

It's never dull around here that's for sure. As if to prove that statement to be true Oliver come running down the hall with a frantic look in his eyes.

"There's been another attack."

All of the love and happiness I was feeling moments before left me as his words sink in.

*** sorry it's late! Hope you enjoy and don't forget to vote.
Love ya!***