Chapter 26

It seems like time is dragging on for days but in reality it has probably only been an hour. We haven't moved or spoken a word. We just sit hand in hand listening to any signs that my pack has arrived.

I finally hear a glimmer of hope when in the distance a wolf cries out. Not the cry of plain but a battle cry.

Without saying anything I stand. Colton glances up at me looking confused but follows my lead. He must not be able to hear the howls yet.

A few moments later the first sounds of the fighting come ringing throughout the room that we are in. A scream pierces the air and Colton flinches. He must not have been ready for the fight that I knew was bound to happen.

As the fighting continues on it becomes closer to the room that we are still locked in.

Suddenly the door is busted down and a big grey and white wolf appears carrying a set of keys in his mouth. My heart fills with joy and I run to the cell door. I glance back at Colton to see him frozen in place. I guess he still isn't the most comfortable with a big wolf running full speed in his direction.

The wolf drops the keys and shifts back into a human. "I found these on one of the dead and thought they might come in handy", Oliver says as he jams the key into the lock.

The lock clicks and I shove the door open and leap into Oliver's arms. He didn't seem to expect that but doesn't hesitate in catching me. "Thank you" I whisper in his ear so only he can hear me.

His grip on me tightens before he sets me back down on my feet.

Ready to join the fight I shift into my wolf and Oliver follows. Glancing back at Colton I will him to understand that he needs to stay behind us. I know that he is skilled enough to fight but I am just not sure if he can fight those who he grew up with. I am not sure if he is capable of doing what needs to be done.

He seems to understand the look that I am giving him and he nods.

I start walking forward out of the room and Oliver darts in front of me. I glare at him which makes him stop and continue past him. He can't treat me like a child. I will soon be his leader so he needs to start acting his part.

As we creep down the halls of what appears to be an abandoned police station we encounter no one. All that we hear is the sounds of war. I am just starting to think that we might actually make it out of this building and to safety when the blonde man from before appears, Colton's father. 

When he spots us coming down the hall he smiles and hold his gun out in front of him. "I might die tonight but I will at least have the honor of killing their leader."

The next few moments seem to go by in slow motion but there is nothing I can do to stop anything.

I hear Colton call out my name but I simply don't have time to react. I see his father turn and face me and with a smile plastered on his face he shoots. The shot rings in my hears as I think that this might actually be it. The next thing I know  I am laying on the ground with a heavy mass of fur crushing me.

I scamble out from under the object only to find that it is Oliver. He must have known something wasn't right and dove at me as soon as he saw the gun. He was able to push me out of the line of fire but in doing so placed himself right in the bullets path.

My wolf instinces take over and I raise my face to the ceiling and cry out in pain. In the distane from other parts of the building I can hear other wolves join in on my cry.

I hear the click of another bullet getting ready to be fired and I see Colton sprint past me and tackle his father. They roll on the ground a few times before his dad is able to pin him to the ground.

For a minute I forget that Oliver is laying at my feet motionless and I dart over to help Colton. Before I can do anything his father is able to pull a knife out of his belt and is now holding it to Colton's throat.

"Take another step and I'll slice him open."

I can't risk him following through with his threats so I stop in my place.

"Has the boy told you everything? I'm guessing not." He looks down at Colton and sighs, "He always been bad at telling the whole truth to people. Every since that night when I was so close to destroying your filthy packs bloodline until this piece of garbage steered us away."

Images from that night flood my mind. How he risked his life at such a young age to save my own.

He continues, "I'm guessing he didn't tell you that he agreed to spy on your pack and report back to us. Granted, he didn't have much of a choice. He fed us the information that we needed to take down your neighboring packs. He was even willing to help us capture a few members of your pack last night. We just happened to get lucky and capture you instead."

He looks up at me and starts laughing. Colton takes this opportunity to shove his father off of him and pin him to the ground. His father does not stay down for long before he is able to shove Colton across the room where he hit the wall hard before sinking to the ground.

I am not willing to let myself think of how hard Colton hit the ground. Instead I force myself to leap into action. I throw myself at Colton's father. He tries to turn to grab the gun that was knocked out of his hand in the fight but before he can take so much as a step I bite into the soft flesh of his leg. As he cries out in pain I take that opportunity to bite into his upper arm making him fall over in pain.

In the blink of an eye I shift back into human form and have the knife that he had threatened Colton with.

"You took something from me when I was young and now you will get what you deserve."

In one swift motion I end the hunters life.

------------------------------

This chapter is unedited so please point out anything that is wrong.