CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Claire's pov:  

I opened the door, trying to be as quiet as I could, in case John was home. I knew I should leave him..but I don't know. He was so sweet sometimes, and I loved him. I couldn't leave him. I heard booming footsteps and waited for an impact, cringing back against the front door to the flat.

John grabbed me by my neck, roughly jerking me up against him.  

"Did you know she was dead?" I winced, trying to get away. He just gripped me harder.  

"Answer me slut! DID YOU KNOW SHE WAS DEAD?" I sighed, trying to calm down. I know if I cried it would just make things worse.  

"Please John..you're hurting me." He laughed and rolled his eyes.  

"So?" I nodded my head.  

"Yeah. I know who killed her too!" He slapped me and I fell against the door.  

"WHAT THE HELL CLAIRE? YOU DIDN'T THINK TO MENTION THIS TO ME?" I stood up, rubbing my cheek where he hit me.  

"You didn't really-" He cut me off, grabbing my arm and I knew I would have so many bruises by the time the night was over.  

"Oh hell no! Don't try to blame this on me! ITS ALL ON YOU!" I nodded, agreeing with him.  

"What? That's it?" He asked angrily. "God. I'm glad I killed that damn baby."He brought of the memory of him forcing my miscarriage. He pushed me and I fell to the ground, letting tears leak out of my eyes slowly. He spat on me, kicking me out of the way of the door. I lied there for what seemed like forever after he left, curled up into a ball, crying. I knew it was only a couple minutes, but every second passed to slowly.

"Claire?" I heard Harry's voice call. I tried to wipe my eyes and compose myself before he saw me but it was to late. He picked me up.  

"Hey..babe you okay? I saw Johnathan leaving..he looked pretty upset." I just shook my head.  

"Claire. You'd tell me if he was beating you right?" I looked away, not being able to lie anymore.  

"I'll kill him." I shook my head quickly, not wanting Harry to get hurt.  

"No Harry. Its fine. I'm okay." He looked at me sadly, seeing right through my lie. He set me down on the couch. I started crying again as he inspected all my bruises. I felt self conscious under his gaze, and I was getting way to emotional. Its like everything came pouring out at once. Everything that happened. I felt the couch shift and I was lifted up again, but when I was put down, I was on Harry's chest this time.  

"Tell me the story?" I nodded.

"I met Johnathan a month after you left. He saw how broken I was, and helped me. At first he was so sweet, and I couldn't believe I had gotten so lucky. I moved in with him. I honestly couldn't believe I fell in love with him so fast. But he was everything you were. Funny, cute, cheeky, and everything." He stopped me.  

"Don't you ever compare me to that bastard." I sighed and looked at him. He blushed.  

"Sorry. Continue love." I nodded, satisfied.  

"Anyways, I moved in with him and a couple months after that he started in with the beatings. It started when he was drunk one night. I tried to get him to stop yelling and to lie down. He grabbed on to my hips..and he wouldn't let me go. It didn't matter how many times I screamed, I couldn't get away and nobody came to help. He laughed every time I cried for him to stop, and I tried to stop my body from reacting. But..I couldn't." I started crying again and Harry just held me, whispering his love for me. After being in silence for 30 minutes, he talked.  

"Get your bags." I looked at him, shocked.  

"What?"  

"We're leaving." I laughed without humor.  

"Harry..you live in the apartment right next door. He's going to notice." Harry nodded. 

"You'll stay with Louis and the boys. And when my apartment lease is up, I'll come join you." Tears filled my eyes.  

"Harry..I don't want to be a burden."  

"Dammit Claire! This isn't a negotiation!" I cowered back, scared of his sudden out burst. He looked hurt and reached for me, but I flinched back, like a scared dog. He grabbed me and forced me into a hug, and soon I relaxed, and laid back down with him.  

"Claire. Please." I nodded and got up to pack my bags.

I was on my second bag when I heard the door burst open.  

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Johnathan bellowed. I heard his words slur, and knew what was in store for me. He came running into my room, locking the door behind him. I heard Harry's fists repeatably making contact with the bedroom door.  

"Why the hell is he here?" I looked at him like he was stupid. 

"He's my friend?" He slapped me, harder than he ever has and I screamed out in pain. Harry's fist started hitting harder and faster, but he wasn't helping.  

"Don't get smart with me bitch!"  

"Sorry. I love you." He rolled his eyes.  

"Oh, I'm so sure. Why are you packing your bags?" I was surprised he noticed, being in his drunken state.  

"I..uh.." His shoulders sagged.  

"You're leaving." I nodded sadly, handing him his ring back. He looked at it, but wouldn't take it. I sat it on his bed, and continued packing. He opened the door, and punched Harry right in the face.

"JOHNATHAN! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" they were both throwing punches, but Harry seemed to be winning. I was shocked when Harry delivered a nice punch to his nose, and it made a satisfying crunching noise. I shrugged and went back to my room, figuring Harry had it under control. John was in bad shape, while all Harry had was a split and swollen lip. I quickly finished packing, zipping up my last bag. It was a nice noise, like it was a new start. Johnathan who was now on the ground, looking up at Harry in pain, tried to grab my ankle to stop me.

I dropped my bag, and pushed Harry out of the way. I yanked Johnathan up, and he looked at me gratefully. Oh how wrong was he. I punched him in the nose and while he was turned, kneed him in the balls. He dropped to the ground in pain, and I spat on him.  

"Bye Douche bag." Harry had grabbed my bags, so I grabbed my purse, and we left, I laughed with joy realizing I was finally free.