Just until its over.

Chapter twelve

There was only two things in this world that can shake me up since I was small till now, my dad and the other is my brother Owen. I guess there’s only one thing now that my dad’s gone. Still, it scared me to my boots.

Owen is like any other typical powerful male, dominant and strict. He’s like a surrogate father and I didn’t like it one bit. I’m just like him, hard headed and him cutting me off, often telling me what I can’t or can do is infuriating. So, its not a surprise we always collided heads.

Rebecca was on her way with Owen. I wasn’t going to lie and say I’m fine cause I’m not. I’m nervous as hell. My wolf tried to calm me down, gently tapping into my emotions. It helped though insignificantly.

I bet I was leaving shoe marks on the porch the way I was pacing.

Maybe calling them was a mistake?

But it was too late and here they are now.

Rebecca’s Aston Martin parked and the two people I haven’t seen in a long time stepped out. I bit my inner cheek, okay, now I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t have called them out.

“Alice.” Rebecca released a sigh of relief, immediately taking me into her embrace. I slowly hugged her back.

“How are you?” She pulled back to stare at my face.

“I’m fine.” I shrugged.

She smiled, “I can see that, you’re practically glowing...” Her tone decreased into a more worried manner. “What’s wrong?”

I bit my inner cheek a little harder, contemplating what to say and how to say it.

That’s when I noticed Owen was looming above us. His large built and tall height easily towered over us even though we were quite tall ourselves. What do you expect from a family full of giants? 

He’s strong and looked like it. He was supposed to be beta in dad’s place but he turned down the offer and preferred to resume his studies. I don’t know the reason till this day. But I do know…

He’ll make one badass lawyer.

I shook my head slowly. “You guys must be tired…come in.”

They exchanged a look before following me inside. I made coffee earlier once I arrived home. Sure, it killed me my mate was just miles apart. I sucked it up.

I poured two mugs with coffee and took out a bottle of sparkling water for myself.

I set them down on the coffee table and sat down.

“Listen, I know you guys are busy…but I kind of need some of your time…a few days to be exact.”

“Alice, do you really think we don’t know?” Owen narrowed his eyes, leaning forward in his seat. I wasn’t sure what he was hinting at but I felt like a deer in headlights. It didn’t take a genius to know that he was pushing me into a corner.