A Maid For Mr. Arrogant- chp 23

Chapter 23

---Xia---

Caleb made his way inside with the men that has held us captive. While he did I found myself shaking my head frantically, hoping he would change his mind. He couldn't possibly give up the manor and all he had worked for---all his family had worked for. Especially not for me. He still had his family to think abot as well as his emplyees. This decision wold affect all of them.

He glanced at me briefly from the corner of his eyes before continuing past me into the building. This couldn't be happening. . .

I stared over at the twins who were now sitting in the car waiting for the outcome. From where I stood I could tell that Little Caleb was consoling Susan and that she had started crying again. Suddenly I was jerked harshly and was being pushed right back into the coffee shop.

By the time I got inside Caleb was sitting quite leisurely at one of the tables with that arrogant look that told me he thought he was still in control and king of the world. In other circumstances he would have looked absolutely irresistable but right now I was too terrified to reall notice. He was giving that man a haughty expression as if he was the one waiting to be addressed instead of the one trying to bargain for his own life. How could he remain so calm and arrogant at a time like this?!

"What's with that look?" The man scoffed.

"I'm simply waiting until I hear something that sounds appealing to me."

The man raised the gun back to my head and I sucked in a deep breath. "Haven't I already given you enogh incentive?" He spat harshly. Caleb blinked once but seemed otherwise unaffected. I started taking deep breaths. I had to calm down, Caleb knew what he was doing .  .. .or well . . .I hoped he did.

"Let her go and we can talk."

"I don't think so."

"Then I guess we won't get anywhere." He said in that stubborn tone of his as he turned his head away. I began to panic; of all the times he chose now to be difficult and conceited!

"You wanna bet" I heard the gun make a clicking sound and I squeezed my eyes shut. I knew I would die one day but I never thought that it wold be like this.

"No I believe you're the one trying to make a wager. See with me if you will; when you kill her what incentive will I have to give you anything?" The two held each other's stares for no more than a minute. The man's grip loosened but it tightened again almost immediately. "That doesn't matter, I would simply just kill you as well and take everything."

"Not possible, I already wrote my will and everything goes to my children but they won't get it until their 18 and until then it will be government owned and monitored."

"Then I'll kill the children as well."

I saw Caleb's expression get dark as he glared over at the man though he quickly composed himself shortly after. "If they die then the government gets everything and you won't see a dirty curtain from there." He threatened. I felt the gun being forced further into my head, as if the man expected it to be able to go over to the next side. By now I was visibly shivering, just hoping it would all be over soon---but not like that!

Without warning I was thrust towards the door. "Get out." He ordered. I looked first to him in terror then over to Caleb. Leave? I couldn't leave without Caleb. What if he got hurt?! I would never be able to live with myself knowing that I left him to die.

"Leave Xia." He ordered.

"No." My voice was abit shaky but the resolve was still quite clear. He looked at me as if he were getting annoyed but I still wouldn't move. I couldn't.