Chapter 8

Preston's POV

Lachlan and I sit in the park for another half hour. Our conversation drifts from random small talk to what's really on our mind.

"So what does this mean for us?" He asks shyly, eyes directed at the ground. While he waits for an answer his eyes are trailing the cracks in the sidewalk, following the jagged lines.

"Well, I don't believe I asked this officially. So," I start, turning my body to face his, "Lachlan, will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes!" Without any hesitation he looks up to me, a smile spreading completely across his face. My heart swells when I look at his eyes, growing brighter every moment. I reach out my arm and lay it around his shoulders. He smiles even wider, if that's even possible, and moves even closer to me.

"So, do you want to tell the Pack or keep it to ourselves for a while?" I ask as he lays his head into me.

"I would prefer to keep it to ourselves for now..." I nod in agreement. This is something special, I would rather it just stay with us for now.

All of a sudden he shoots his head up. "Your girlfriend!"

My face freezes. I forgot all about her. For a few seconds my mind is in chaos but I quickly find a solution. A rather simple one actually.

"I'll go see her tonight." His face falls and I realize I need to continue. "No, I mean I'll see her tonight, if I'm going to break up with her I'm going to do it in person."

He nods, but he still doesn't look reassured.

"I promise Lachlan. It's you, not her."

He nods again and settles back into his earlier position. We stay like that for a while, only stopping when the sun starts to set. Immediately the temperature begins to drop.

"We should get up," he says, rising to stand.

"But I don't want to," I whimper, pouting my lips. He rolls his eyes and holds out his hand. I take it and pull myself up. He hands me my crutches and I take them. We walk to his house where I drop him off at his door. He has to help me along the way, it's kind of a difficult walk with the crutches. It's dark now and it's getting kind of cold.

"Goodnight Lachlan," I say smiling. We finally disconnect our hands and he looks down slightly.

"Goodnight Preston." He says it shyly as he lifts his head back up. He's biting his lip slightly and I let out a small laugh. I lower my lips to his and he kisses me back. When we break apart his smile is the biggest I've seen it yet.

I return the smile as he heads inside. I turn around, making the short walk back to my house. My head is swimming, random thought darting around my head. I smile as I unlock my car door. True to my word, I start walking to Sarah's house. My arms are sore and tired but I have to do this for Lachlan. For me.

Before I can think about it I ring the doorbell. She opens the door enthusiastically, swinging it wide open.
"Hey babe!" She says enthusiastically, wrapping me in a hug. When I don't return the hug she catches on.

"What's wrong." She asks, concern in her eyes.

"I need to talk to you," I say quietly. She nods, pursing her lips as she closes the door. We're standing on her porch now and she motions for me to sit on her little couch.

"Are you breaking up with me?" She asks quietly. I can see her eyes filling with tears and it breaks my heart, but not as much as I would've thought. When I don't reply she nods, confirming it for herself.

"Can I ask why?"

"I promise you when I say that it's not you, it's me." At that she rolls her eyes at probably the most cliche line I could've come up with. "No really, neither of us have much control over it."

"Preston what are you talking about?"

I pause. I really have known it for some time but I've never said it out loud.
"I'm gay Sarah."

At that the shock takes over her face. Her hands over her mouth, eyes growing huge, the whole thing. After a few seconds she begins to process what I said. She finally nods, closing her eyes.

"Have you known the whole time?" She asks weakly.

"Yes." She nods again, a few tears spilling out.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I couldn't even tell myself." When I say it out loud I realize it's true. How long had I been denying the feelings? "Please don't hate me. I'm really sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault. It's just the way you are. And I could never hate your Preston." With that she smiles a little.

"Thanks for understanding," I say gratefully. This went better than I could've hoped. I was expecting anger, not this.

She nods again and stands up. I do the same as I lean in and give her a hug. She hugs me back, her tears making a little wet spot on my T-Shirt. When we release each other she's smiling.

"Now go, your lucky man is waiting."

I smile as I make my way down her porch and to the sidewalk. I make the short walk back to my apartment, collapsing on my couch. I lay with my eyes closed, facing my ceiling. My arms are tired, my legs are tired, my brain is tired. It doesn't take much for me to fall asleep.

------------------------

I know this chapter is pretty sappy but oh well.

~Sky