Chapter 13

Previously...

Rob's POV

I move around a couple of boxes, looking to see crutches anywhere. Instead a box hits my head, not too hard, but it still hurts a bit. I shake my head, rolling my eyes, as I pick it up off of the floor.

The top of it has come off and the contents are laying on the floor. I bend down, horrified at what I see in front of me. Thin little pieces of metal lay in front of me, their smooth surfaces catching the light.

I pick up what look like the blade to a letter opener and turn it over in my hand. I drop it immediately when I see rust colored stains lining its edge.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Preston's POV

We walk out of Hot Topic together, but apart. Rob and I have spent all day in our own little world and, honestly, I miss that feeling. I miss feeling close to someone, I miss the way that together it is just two best friends and that's all we have to be. No expectations, no effort, it's just natural. I know that my boyfriend is supposed to give me that feeling, but it just feels like I have to work to get his attention.

Maybe it is hard to get Lachlan's affection but it is completely worth it. He is sweet to me, he makes me feel wanted. Maybe I am supposed to feel bad that I ignored him today, but I don't. There's no competing with Rob.

He pulls into the parking area of my complex and Lachlan and I get out. At this point the sun has almost disappeared from the sky and it's casting eerie shadows across the lot. I stand at the driver's window for a minute, saying bye to Rob, as Lachlan storms into the building. When I walk into the complex I'm a little bit pissed off, I know Lachlan and Rob haven't always gotten along but he at least could've waited for even 20 extra seconds. When I reach the apartment door Lachlan is yanking on the doorknob, cursing under his breath.

"Don't hurt yourself, let me do it," I say with my teeth gritted. For a moment he stays standing in front of the door but quickly moves out of the way. As soon as I open the door though, he shoves past me inside.

"What's your problem?" I ask as he starts grabbing his things.

"What's my problem? What's your problem Preston?"

"I don't know what you're talking about, did I do something?" He's growing more angry by the second. I know I shouldn't keep talking but I can't let this go.

"Holy shit! Don't play stupid. But I don't know everything, you might just be fucking stupid!"

"W-what did I do?" Tears are starting to pool in my eyes as he starts getting more and more mad. He's scaring me.

"Rob this, Rob that. Rob everything, I'm your boyfriend Preston. You ignored me all day and now, now you think you can just pretend that you did nothing. Well excuse me."

"I-I didn't mean to upset you." My voice is getting shaky as tears are running down my face.

"Fuck, of course you didn't. You're just that ignorant. Oh, and now you're crying. Like you're just a victim. Well you are pretty helpless so I guess you fit the role."

"Why are you doing this?" I ask, weakly.

"You really want to fucking know why? Do you want to know why?" He walks towards me slowly and I freeze. My thoughts cut off, my words catch in my throat, I swear I feel my heart stop beating. He takes a final step until he is one a foot away from me, I can see the anger in his eyes.

"Please leave." It comes out a whisper but he hears me. In a flash, his arms extend, something hits my face. Hard. I fall down onto my tile flooring, scrambling backwards until I hit the wall. Pain blossoms from my right eye and it's surroundings. Lachlan stands, cemented to the ground. He is staring at his hands in shock. He lifts his head and he locks eyes with me, I quickly duck me head. As he starts walking towards me I wince, preparing for another blow, but one never comes.

"Oh god. Shit. Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. Preston I am so sorry. Preston I am so sorry." I hear his cries, he is sobbing, sitting on his knees in front of me. He just keeps saying sorry, over and over again. Repeating his mantra over and over, I'm sorry. I stay pressed against the wall in fear, still trying to comprehend what happened. I stay silent, not daring to lift my head. I hear the closing of my apartment door and it never opens again. Eventually I stand up, walking into my bathroom. My right eye is swollen almost completely closed and some skin around it split.

I stand staring at my reflection.

How could he do this?

Why did he do this?

Why did you make him do this? This is what happens when you trust people. This is what happens when you can't keep your mouth shut. If you hadn't ignored him, if you hadn't kept talking, none of this would've happened.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Almost like I'm in a trance, I walk into my bedroom. I open the closet door, feeling around the top shelf. When I feel my fingers brush the box, I pull it down. I carry the box into my bathroom, holding it with both arms. When I take the lid off I am greeted by the dull shine of old metal. I pick up a big one, sharp and effective. A stinging sensation erupts across my arms, my wrist, but eventually it dulls down. When it fails to hurt only then do I stop.

I'm not really sure what happens after that, I remember wrapping my arm up. I'm not sure what I use, I do know that I make it to my bedroom before everything fades black.

--------------------------------

I'm dead. Very dead. Don't blame me, blame it on the plot.

~Sky