Chapter 22

Rob's POV

I can't believe I almost kissed him. I almost kissed my best friend in the world, the person who means more to me than anyone else, the boy who has been through so much. I almost kissed him. I'm not so surprised that I did, I've been resisting the urge to kiss him for months. What surprises me is that he almost let me.

He might like me, he said it himself. For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to convince him to give us a shot. It's selfish of me to think of myself in this situation but he's just so amazing and if he would let me show him what it feels like to be loved then I think his whole world could change. Maybe it's arrogant to think I could have such an affect on him but I just feel like we need each other.

It's been about 2 weeks since we had our...moment... and I'm really hoping tonight I can sway him, it is Valentines Day after all. I convinced him to hang out with Jerome and Vic for a while today so I could prepare everything. As I add a few finishing touches the doorbell rings. My heart is pounding as I navigate the hallway to the front door.

"Good evening," I say a little sarcastically as I open the door.

"Good evening...?" Preston replies, looking a little bit confused.

"I think you'll like this." I take his hand and pull him inside.

"I'll like what exa-" his sentence is cut short when he sees the candles I have leading toward the dining room.

"I know it's cheesy and cliche but I just wanted to give you the perfect Valentines Day."

"You know I'm still not sure about all of this, right?" He is blushing slightly but I can't quite read him.

"I know, but you might kinda like me and I definitely like you and after everything that's happened I didn't want either of us to spend Valentines Day alone." I continue to lead him by his hand towards the elaborate dinner I have set up.

"Wow... You didn't have to go through all this trouble just for me." He is definitely blushing now. He is adorable when he blushes.

"Nonsense," I say pulling out a chair for him to sit in, "this is our Valentines Day and it's going to be done right."

"Mmm smells good, what'd you make?" He asks as I walk toward the table carrying two bowls.

"I believe it is called pasta al burro e parmigiano." I end it with a smile, proud of myself for pronouncing it correctly.

"What does that mean?"

"Ah the fine dish of... fettucine alfredo. I'm not exactly a five star chef but I think it's pretty good if I do say so myself," I finish setting his plate down in front of him, placing the other across the table.

"Mm pasta, a classic date dish."

"Is this a date to you?" He opens his mouth to answer but I cut him off, "Because I was hoping that this grand romantic gesture might woo you enough to give us a shot." Instead of replying he just takes a large bite of the pasta, flicking sauce onto his face by accident.

"Oops," he says looking embarrased.

"You flop," I say rolling my eyes. So freaking cute.

"Shut up."

Make me.

"Eat your pasta I put my own sweat and blood into this dish."

"Ew," he replies taking another large bite of his dinner. We continue to talk through the meal, me dropping not so subtle flirtatious jokes and him blushing consitently. I'm taking the last bites of my food when he finally get's a little blush from me.

"So, uh, do you wanna go outside and, um, sunset?" What he is attempting to propose sounds very romantic and of course I can't pass up the offer.

We get outside to see the last few minutes of sunlight. Once the sun dips below the horizon I run inside to turn on the lights, walking back out to see him stairing at the fairy lights I have draped across the deck.

"Do you like it?" I ask walking towards his awestruck face.

"Did... Did you do this for me?"

"All of this is for you," I say blushing slightly. I continue to step forward until I'm standing only inches away from him. He looks up at me, his beautiful eyes staring into mine.

"Hey," he says softly, eyes darting toward my lips.

"Hey. Are you sure yet Preston?" He looks down at his feet for a second but then his eyes are back on mine and he's wearing the best smile I've ever seen.

"I'm sure." Before either of us can say anything else I'm pulling his face to mine.

I've kissed people before but I feel like this is the first time I've ever really kissed someone. Everything else is dull compared to this one moment that I have with Preston. It feels amazing, it feels like time just stops and I'm floating away, nothing else is important but this moment. It feels right.

When we finally break away I know that I'm wearing the biggest smile.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that," I say, cupping his face in my hand.

"I had no idea how much I wanted to do that until it happened." The two of us just stand with each other until I feel him shiver.

"Oh you must be cold," I say pulling apart from him.

"A little bit, it's kinda chilly," he replies rubbing his arms.

"C'mon let's go inside, its waaarrrmmm," I say dragging him inside by his hands. "So do you want to watch a movie or something?" I ask once we're inside.

"Sure but you have to make the popcorn," he replies, narrowing his eyes at me.

"Noooo you know I always burn the popcorn."

"Fine you flop I'll make the popcorn. You go pick out a movie."

I walk into the living room and plop down on the couch to choose a movie. After a few minutes of scrolling through Netflix I settle on some cheesy B-list horror movie. I'm laying spread out on the couch when Preston walks in with a bowl of popcorn. It takes me slightly by suprise when he chooses to sit right between my legs, leaning his back against my chest.

"Is this okay? I wanted to be close to you," he admits shyly.

"This is perfect," I reply wrapping my arms around his waist to hold him against me.

Nobody could feel as happy as I do right now

---------------

I told you I smelled romance... I'm living vicariously through my characters again help.

~Sky